What's new
What's new

TL-1 (toolroom lathe) options list question

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
RE "remote jog handle, color LCD" ($1.095).... does this mean you don't get color LCD if you don't want a remote jog handle ? If so, what do you get... the old monochrome CRT with amber text ??

I've got an 05 tl-1. No remote jog handle, and it came with a color lcd on the control. I think the newer haas remote jog handles have a small lcd on them, thats probably what they mean. Btw unless the operator is a midget there is no need for a remote jog handle for a tl-1. :)

Btw unless the operator is a midget there is no need for a remote jog handle for a tl-1. :)
Yes, seemed like an odd option to me as well....just hoping they had not "bundled" that with the color LCD to sort of force one to order that option anyway.
Milacron

Don, That handle is only good on big machines since you can set your offsets from it. Did you get to see that EC-1600 I ordered at CFS? It had it and I found it still to be a waiste of money. It kind of reminded me of the A-2100 pendant (just smaller). Aymore I dont think Haas even gives an option on controlers. I have realized I dont like there latest and greatest with the DXF option though.

The color LCD is on the MPG itself. It has no effect on the actual control display. I have not seen one in person, but I assume it is just a basic DRO and some kind of text display.

-Wes

For all concerned,

About 6 months ago I was entertaining the thought of the Haas TL2, I contacted Haas and they immediatley sent out a salesman and a factory rep that had some deals for me!

after the sales and support speech I asked for a list of people near me that purchased one, quite a few shops had the prospective machine, everyone had the same complaint.....tailstock alignment!

when I called the sales rep...he didn't have any knowledge of said complaint...So, I called the factory rep and inquired about it.....they are aware of the problem and are working toward correcting it.

On the other hand, all of the shops raved about how user friendly the programing was, picking up threads, multiple leads, and how good factory support is. Other concerns were poor shielding of the rear of the machine where the readouts are placed..and everything is optional

Food for thought

Mick

Other concerns were poor shielding of the rear of the machine where the readouts are placed..and everything is optional
Speaking of options, on a small flat bed lathe like the TL-1, do you guys think most folks order rigid tapping option or not ?

Milacron, I have the rigid tapping option on my tl-1. Why do you ask?

MICK 1958, What do you mean by readouts at the back of the machine?

I think he means the spindle and the spindle encoders.
My TL2 has the cabinet (Europe) and, ... well ... it is obviously an afterthought. If you work with coolant, you will find it everywhere on the floor.

Nick

and without a doubt .....get the cabinet

But don't expect it to be tight.

There are three leaks:
Left end of the spindle bore. There is a cover, but it misses a small strip of sheet metal and 5 minutes of welding. Did that
Right side of the bed, where the "tunnel" ends and the coolant flows into the coolant pan. Add some removable sheet metal. Did that.
So far, no big deal.

Back of the bed is the biggest leak over the full length. Not yet fixed. Needs some re-routing of cables.

Nick

I use coolant all the time. I've never had a problem with the spindle, spindle motor, or spindle motor encoder. The z axis ballscrew and servo are uncovered in the back of the machine, but I've never had a problem with coolant affecting them either. I don't have the fully enclosed version either just the chuck gaurd that comes stock with the machine. Coolant does get all over the floor though. But a nice fellow on one of the other machinist forums came up with a neat gutter system that I copied. The gutters stopped 95% of the coolant leakage.

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/TLGUTTERS_1.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/TLGUTTERS_2.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/TLGUTTERS_3.jpg

Few pics of an 1 1/2 - 5 acme shaft and block I made on the ol' TL-1

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/ACME1.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/ACME2.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/ACME5.jpg

I use coolant all the time. I've never had a problem with the spindle, spindle motor, or spindle motor encoder.

That's not the problem. But the splash guard that covers the spindle bore is not tight. It drips when you do bore all the way through work and the spindle bore gets flooded.

Nick

Milacron, I have the rigid tapping option on my tl-1. Why do you ask?
I suppose because I don't see myself really needing rigid tapping, but when I sell it eventually I wonder if the lack of same would greatly inhibit the sale ? (can you add it later ?)

On a full size VMC, riggid tapping is practically essential...but on a small toolroom lathe ?

can you add it later ?

To my knowledge, it is a pure software-option. You get the code when you buy it and key it in at the control. Watch for "factory option" or something like this. For example the high speed spindle or the stronger motor.
Don't forget that other software-options do have a 200 hour trial period. You don't even have to call Haas or a HFO for a trial. I think that's a damned nice move by Haas.

Nick

That's not the problem. But the splash guard that covers the spindle bore is not tight. It drips when you do bore all the way through work and the spindle bore gets flooded.

Nick

I have one of the earlier TL's. They made a few changes over the years on some of the sheetmetal gaurding. I don't have a splash gaurd for the spindle bore. Can you post a pic so I know what your talking about. Usually If I notice coolant coming out of the spindle bore I shove a rag in there.

Milacron, are you thinking about a TL for your own use? I would have thought you'd be more of a romi type guy. :) I think the rigid tapping option is something to consider. The tailstock is too heavy to stick a tap in a drill chuck and let the tailstock float.

Can you post a pic so I know what your talking about.

Here it is:
TL-2-01.JPG

That's a model 08. Where my finger is, I added a strip (closed at the bottom). Also a bore at the deepest point. The coolant ran down the cover and made its way to the outside.

Nick

Thanks for the pic Nick. I don't have that guard on my lathe. One of the joys of owning one of the earlier machines I guess. :)

Back