What's new
What's new

Haas subspindle lathes with y-axis

Wow, they got pretty smart. They have a "build a quote" button now that not only shows your price as you choose options but also shows an estimated monthly payment.

The payments don't look that bad (what the heck, sign me up!), but that's always easy to say at this point.

Paul T.
Power Technology

I never twist my machines of this size over 2500. However - what I would be more interested in is the RPM of the live toys. I have two that spin around 4000, and one that spins 8. I run a LOT of tools in the 6 and even 8K range. The 4K limit machines don't run the small tools nearly as well.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

While the machine looks impressive I would think for 160K BASE that it would at least have +-3" in Y. most machines that size have 4". This being their "guinea pig" first year machine I'm interested to see how it turns out. Did they have to layout the control different to accomodate the new features?

4K is plenty for a 8" machine. Sure if you throw a collet chuck on 'er, the high R's are nice. But if you running full tilt while chucking, well, happy trails to ya. I run around 3k max with a 8" chuck.

Is it me or does the turret and the tooling in the vid look cobbled together? Looks very "busy" and un-stream lined. Lots of long live tools, too long for me. Wonder if they have some clearence problems or just the setup for the demo vid was half-hearted? No X and Y wedge way covers?

With the base price of $160K, I wonder where you'll be at with all the bells a whistles?

That sub-spindle has a hell of a lot of overshoot when indexing. Watch toward the end of the video. I hope that was just an early prototype.

-Wes

Is there normally chip guard on the Y axis machines(like higher brand mori/mazak?) first time I notice the rails for X and Y right there you can see the wedge style quite clearly. I guess it would make for a funky guard but, do ya want chips in there?

SND

My NL does not have any X/Y covers ( the combination axis), but it is a box-way machine.
That Haas looks like linear ways, so I dunno about the shit-removal method.

Is it me or does the turret and the tooling in the vid look cobbled together? Looks very "busy" and un-stream lined. Lots of long live tools, too long for me. Wonder if they have some clearence problems or just the setup for the demo vid was half-hearted?

With the base price of $160K, I wonder where you'll be at with all the bells a whistles?

The demo was designed to get the turret away from the part, to allow IMTS visitors to view the cutting. That setup remained to get ample video coverage.

The DS-30SSY has almost every option as standard. These are only estimated/rounded prices. The only options left are conveyor 4k, tool presetter 4k, ethernet 1k, and high pressure coolant 6k. So, 175k is the fully loaded price.

I just don't think I would touch it with a ten foot pole unless they sat one on my floor at a severe discount. I can just imagine all sorts of issues from simple programming to deflection and other machine related issues. I think new buyers will report glitches and things Haas missed. They will probably eventually have a decent machine but for that kind of money, I can go get a used Mazak Intgrex or Mori twin turret.

Back