What's new
What's new

VF4 starting tripping circuit breaker 2

knc

Aluminum
Today my 07 vf4 started tripping cb2, which is 10amp 115volt main xfrmr circuit breaker. There are no alarms from this. The power is killed to the spindle, all axis servo's and the controller. The machine wasn't under a heavy load when this 1st happened. It did break the end mill.

I couldn't get it to home all axis at first,(cb2 would trip), I had to do them by single axis return. Then as soon as I executed a S1000 M3 it tripped again. After about 30 minutes of wiggling and pushing in connectors in the electrical cabinet I decided to unplug the coolant level sensor and no more breaker trip. I even ran the machine for about 2 1/2 hours before it tripped again.

I called Selway and was told it could be the servo drives, the vector drive or any of the cables could have a short. Trouble shooting this could add ($$$) up quick.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any ideas?

thanks

update

Thanks for the advice to call Haas service direct.

I've been running the machine 6.0 inches above the part for the past 5 hours and no alarm. I did however notice the cooling fan that rest on top of the spindle wasn't working. I checked the voltage to the fan and it is 115v. I swapped the fan to a different machine and still doesn't work.

Possibly the fan motor caused the CB2 to trip. This is the 2nd fan this year to fail. When the 1st fan failed, CB2 didn't trip, the machine threw a spindle overheat alarm. That is how we noticed the fan wasn't working.

On Tuesday, a service tech will be out to check the I/O board and bring a new fan. I hate to spend the money but something is causing the fan to fail.

ken

Problem Fixed

The service tech was out and checked the VF4. Turns out the aluminum spindle balancer was rubbing against the wiring for the cooling fan. This caused a direct short. Completely my fault since I changed the fan this past spring. Should've paid attention, it cost 500 bucks. Joys of being an owner.

ken

Back