What's new
What's new

HAAS tool room mill breaker rating

MBG

Hot Rolled
What is the single phase breaker rating for a tool room mill.

I can't understand the haas website because it says 50 amps but don't know if that is single phase or three phase.

I ask because I only have 100 amps in my shop at my house (this will be a personal use machine)

I can run my vf2 and a nakamura lathe off of a 100A panel into a phase perfect.

The tm is a 5hp no?

30A should be fine I'd be gussin

As someone here once wrote....HAAS rates them stalled out and on fire lol

I can run my vf2 and a nakamura lathe off of a 100A panel into a phase perfect.

The tm is a 5hp no?

30A should be fine I'd be gussin

As someone here once wrote....HAAS rates them stalled out and on fire lol

Really?? I was extremely worried because to get more amps would require a panel upgrade and everything.

Do you think I could squeeze enough power for a vf1? I think they are 50 amps 3 phase.

What phase perfect do you use? phase perfect told me to run a a vf1 with their unit I would need a 110 amp breaker.

How the heck do you run a vf2 AND a lathe off of 100 amps.

Never planned to but I tried turning both of them on at the samebtime one day and they run...at the same time just fine. Both taking light cuts in 6-4 titanium no less.

I use a 20 hp phase perfect.

Nah....80-100 amps will be fine....I'm doing it, promise I would not lie to you. Never popped a breaker or had any issues. Granted I don't beat my machines up...no 100 per cent loads when both are running. I don't know if that would be a problem or not.

You could run just about any vf series mill with the "20"hp. They are really 10 hp motors...I've seen the plate on mine...rated 10 hp.

For that tm, you'd have spare juice with 50A no doubt. The tm is single phase yes?

I appreciate this.

Well, 100 amps is my TOTAL amps to my shop for lights and everything.

I am thinking I could dedicate 80 amps to the machine and don't have anything else while the machine is running.

Also, which phase converter do you have? the PT-380 or the PT-335??

I am thinking about getting the PT-380 which has a constant output of 36 amps three phase. It is $2,000 vs the PT-335 which is $5,000 dont know if it worth the extra amps for 3,000 more.

I'd get more than you need. You will eventually be kicking yourself for not getting it.

Big picture says that 5k is a small investment with big returns. Just my opinion of course.

In regards to my 100A...I should clarify that just feeds the machines. The rest of the shop is on seperste boxes. One for the air compressor, one for lights etc.

I'd bet cash money you could run a vf-1 and everything else in the shop.

My phase perfect bought in 2003 the model numbers have changed I think. It's the 20 hp version. Can't tell you much more than that, it's a big blue box that works as advertised.

You know there are guys here that know electrical......really well. Maybe post this in the phase convertor forum see what they say.

I'm not an electrical guru by any means, just another knuckle head with a shop in the garage.

Dave

50 AMP Breaker

Hi,

I live in the Tampa area and have a 2008 HAAS TM-1P in my home shop. I am currently running it on 220 single phase with a 50 AMP Breaker. It has the 7.5 hp motor.

John

Back