What's new
What's new

Looking for HAAS Machine

badfast

Plastic
I am currently looking to find a HAAS TM-1P to put in my garage for light-duty work. I would also consider a TM-2P or Mini-mill if I found one. Does anyone know of machines for sale in the NC area or closeby?

Thanks,

Kyle

Great, thanks for the input Ken! I am currently working with Hill on pricing a new machine, and I had reviewed the Demo page on the HAAS website as well. However, I had not located the MiniMill nearby! I am researching both new and used at the moment to get a feel for the market prices of each. Although it is a small machine, it amounts to a large investment on my end!

I see you're in Oxnard, CA. Is it coincidental or are do you work for HAAS?

Best Regards,
Kyle

One more question Ken: I have to get this machine through a 7' door. I measured this evening, and it is 93.5". I can get possibly another 3' out of the space if I disassemble the header above the door. Is this acceptable? I have read posts on here about the height issue into the door, and it seems feasible, but I would prefer to have a definite answer from a HAAS guy.

Also, which is the cheapest option for long-term in your opinion, standard 220V or a 15HP phase converter. I currently have a 10HP converter to run my Bridgeport (had plans of running a manual lathe with this converter at the same time, but changed my mind), and it is running off a 50A service, but I am not sure this converter is large enough. Also, the converter was made for a CNC as the voltages have been balanced.

P.S. Once I get it in the door I have 11' clearance to the ceiling. I could change the door if necessary, but would prefer to avoid that extra cost on top of everything if possible.

One more question Ken: I have to get this machine through a 7' door. I measured this evening, and it is 93.5". I can get possibly another 3' out of the space if I disassemble the header above the door. Is this acceptable? I have read posts on here about the height issue into the door, and it seems feasible, but I would prefer to have a definite answer from a HAAS guy.

Also, which is the cheapest option for long-term in your opinion, standard 220V or a 15HP phase converter. I currently have a 10HP converter to run my Bridgeport (had plans of running a manual lathe with this converter at the same time, but changed my mind), and it is running off a 50A service, but I am not sure this converter is large enough. Also, the converter was made for a CNC as the voltages have been balanced.

P.S. Once I get it in the door I have 11' clearance to the ceiling. I could change the door if necessary, but would prefer to avoid that extra cost on top of everything if possible.

haas tool room mills are rated at 50 amp SINGLE phase.. if you don't have three phase I wouldn't get it. For CNC machines you need to run an advanced digital phase convertor and one to fit a tool room mill would cost around 3k.

For CNC machines you need to run an advanced digital phase convertor and one to fit a tool room mill would cost around 3k.

I know many manufacturers don't recommend it, and on new machines you could put your warranty at risk, but there are a lot of people out there running CNC machines successfully on rotary phase converters, both commercial ones and home brew ones.

Paul T.
Power Technology

Operating Voltage

Hi Kyle,

First, good luck on finding a used HAAS or purchasing a new one. I am extremely satisfied with my machine which is used for similar type of work.

I have a 2007 TM-1P that I purchased new and have operated it on 220 Single Phase in my garage workshop with no issues on performance since installation.

If you purchase a new machine I would get the Renishaw wireless Probe and Tool Setter. When I purchased mine the option was $4995.00 which included the options Macros, and rotation and scaling. Those 2 option costs were about 2/3rds of the $4995.00 option price which made the decision a no brainer for me. To install this option later would cost you somewhere in the range of $10,000.00. Check with you local HFO. They can give you the details and associated costs. It is one of the most used options that I purchased with my machine.

Rigid Tapping can be turned on at any time with the purchase of the code.

I would also get the chip auger if it is not included in the base price.

You are welcome to visit my Gallery at my website as I have a few videos on the Renishaw Wireless Probe and other HAAS related items. http://www.helicopterjohn.com/gallery/

Last edited:
Great news John! I found a 2006 TM-1P that has ~70 hours on it. Great deal, and it is local which is good as well! I am working on financing at the moment, and as soon as I sign the papers I will let you know where it came from (don't want anyone to steal the deal on me). It has the following options (im sure i'll forget a few).

Rigid Tapping
Chip Auger
Marposs Wireless Probe system
High Speed Machining
Co-ord rotation and scaling
Macros
Hard disk/ethernet
10 tool changer

This will be my first CNC so I'm definitely excited. I bought a Bridgeport and fully restored it about a year ago, and I am sick of turning handles and manually changing tools!

My only concern is fitting it in my 7' door. Have been looking at what I can take off the mill to maybe sneak it in the door. Advice from anyone would be appreciated!

new machine

Hi badfast,

Congratulations on your find. Hope it works out well for you.

I don't know much about the Marpross probe system. I know the Renishaw is the cats meow. Did you get a wireless tool setter with the Marpross probe system?

As the machine is a 2006 I would assume it has a 3.5 floppy drive and not a USB port.

The chip auger is also a really nice feature. Does the machine have a coolant pump and if so is it the 1/8 HP unit or the high output 3/4 HP unit? If you have that option you can put a Y garden hose connector on it and connnect a short about 15 foot garden hose with hand nozzle and use it as a wash down unit.

I am sure you will have a ton of fun and the machine is very capable of making some nice parts.

Keep us posted. Hope your deal goes through.

Enjoy!

Bad, This sounds alot like the one at coastal precision machine in your area. If so I would warn you to stay away. I wiped the spindle out in the first year. The only thing that mill has cut is 304 plate. The owner had me pushing a 3" facemill .05 deep 3 shifts 6 days a week. the spindle sounds good until it gets a load on it. if this is the same mill you should run it through the ringer.

G-Coder, thanks for the advice. Fortunately, that is not the machine I am looking at! I'll let you know in about a week or so where it's from. You have no idea how much I appreciate that advice, and hopefully someone else who may be looking at that machine will read this as well. That is a priceless tip on a machinery investment.

John, I am going through financing right now which is the worst part of this deal, but I am super excited about getting this machine soon. I realize for most on this site the machine is a waste, but it will keep up with my current requirements for sure.

Yes, the Marposs probe has the wireless tool setter! It also has a floppy drive, USB port, and ethernet!

A 1/8HP coolant pump is included. The shop normally cut things dry so they didn't have the pump upgraded unfortunately. I will invest in this soon. It will be best to run little coolant initially so that I can watch the machine closely. I haven't run one of these near enough to be that confident in my programming yet. I like the washdown idea though! I will probably be inside the machine every other week with a bottle of McGuires anyways! HAH

I'm looking at bringing the machine home after the first of the year, and I will keep you updated no doubt.

Options

Hi Badfast,

I noticed you said it had a 3.5 floppy, USB and Hard disk/ethernet.

I have never heard of one of these machines having both the 3.5 floppy and the USB port. I thought the 2006 machines only had the 3.5 floppy.

I have read recently that some owners are replacing the 3.5 floppy drives with some type of a USB drive that emulates up to 100??? 3.5 floppy drives. Not as effective as a real USB drive but may??? be an improvement over the 3.5 floppy drive.

Sounds like you have a really nice deal and wish you success with your new machine. If you would ever like to compare notes you are welcome to send me a PM anytime.

John

'03 to '06 machines could have both floppy and USB ---> Floppy ver. 11
'07 and later machines have USB only ---> Floppy ver. 12

Machines with the USB can use an external floppy drive that connects to the USB.

As far as the fit, attached are two snapshots from the dimensions page, found at:
Haas Automation, Inc. | CNC Machine Tools | The Leader in CNC Machine Tool Value

It looks like you can squeeze this machine through, but you have to double-check the other dimensions as well.

Attachments

• TM-1P.jpg
    TM-1P.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 6,178
  • TM-1P-2.jpg
    TM-1P-2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 2,043
John, I am going through financing right now which is the worst part of this deal, but I am super excited about getting this machine soon. I realize for most on this site the machine is a waste, but it will keep up with my current requirements for sure.

Yes, the Marposs probe has the wireless tool setter! It also has a floppy drive, USB port, and ethernet!

A 1/8HP coolant pump is included. The shop normally cut things dry so they didn't have the pump upgraded unfortunately. I will invest in this soon. It will be best to run little coolant initially so that I can watch the machine closely. I haven't run one of these near enough to be that confident in my programming yet. I like the washdown idea though! I will probably be inside the machine every other week with a bottle of McGuires anyways! HAH

I'm looking at bringing the machine home after the first of the year, and I will keep you updated no doubt.

Feel the same way with my TM1. I added a wash down hose the day after it was up and running. So the big question...... Is it home yet!?

Hi Badfast,

I noticed you said it had a 3.5 floppy, USB and Hard disk/ethernet.

I have never heard of one of these machines having both the 3.5 floppy and the USB port. I thought the 2006 machines only had the 3.5 floppy.

I have read recently that some owners are replacing the 3.5 floppy drives with some type of a USB drive that emulates up to 100??? 3.5 floppy drives. Not as effective as a real USB drive but may??? be an improvement over the 3.5 floppy drive.

Sounds like you have a really nice deal and wish you success with your new machine. If you would ever like to compare notes you are welcome to send me a PM anytime.

John

John,

I did a USB "drive" conversion on my 05'. Yes it holds 99 1.44MB files. Kind of different but easy to install and use. Yes not a simple as a regular USB but WAY better than a 3.5" floppy. I had the USB conversion on hand for a month or so before the Sony 3.5" floppy died forcing the conversion.

Mark

Metaltech 4x4 Protection Evolved

Good news and bad news...

Good news is that the machine is in the garage, and it will just barely fit under a 7' garage door by only removing the heat sink!

Bad news is that I wired the machine, verified voltages and flipped the breaker on the back of the machine...the machine tries powering up automatically as soon as the breaker is flipped. The Haas hfo seems to think that the main contactor may be out due to shipping? I am not sure, but I am really nervous.

I had powered the machine at Stewart-Haas racing with no problems so something has happened in between. The trouble is that I bought the machine "used" with 40 hours on it. The "used" title means that there is no warranty so I found out I have to pay a HAAS Tech $335 for the first hour and $135 for each additional hour. I am waiting on a phone call now to see when he will arrive. I am trying to stay optimistic in this situation, but I am struggling right now. I wish Jeffreys would work with me on this repair, but once the money is sent it's not really their problem I suppose. :-( Really disappointed right now, and nervous to see what is wrong.

Will send pictures as soon as I get the machine running.

Back