What's new
What's new

Haas accuracy

kerrprecision

Aluminum
I'm looking at another brand of tool room cnc lathe. But also want to look at the has TL1. I have never owned or worked with any Haas machinery But have used many other brands. My question is how well the Haas machines hold Tolerances and how well built are they.

I have a Haas TL1 in my garage and I do .0005 work on it all the time. I've never tried anything closer, but I don't know why it wouldn't do it.

I usually don't like to work closer than plus or minus .005, but the machine is stupid. It till do exactly what you tell it to do.

Accuracy wise the TL's are in with the big guys. Rigidness and Power are where it falls off. I hold .0002 all day once the rails staiblize. Dont try to use thermal comp just run a good warm up cycle. for the money its tough to beat and the control is operator friendly.

Steve and G Coder: hope you can take the time to answer this one:
I have two second ops lathes, both Hardinge, and a decent 12 x 36 for threading and scroll chuck work. I spend quite a bit of time setting up the lathes, as a number of things I do are one-offs and short runs. I would love to find a home for these 3 lathes and bring in a TL 1.
I would run the TL with 5c collets the majority of the time, and use 3 and 4 jaw chucks on occasion. What would the downside be, if any, with this plan?
Thanks.

From Haas, the Accuracy is .0004 and the repeatably is .0002.

Thats in a perfect world. Now add deflection, spring, tool runout...so to achieve those numbers expect a Tad of tweaking and a spring pass or two. but once achieved they run pretty consistent.

Machines are built well for what they are intended to be used for...med to light machining. Get more aggressive and the machine tells you to back off... I just add an additional roughing pass or two as required over my more pricey counterparts and they seem to perform well.

I get .0002 accuracy all the time on my TL-1. I have to tweak my programs and offsets some, but once I get there it is pretty darn repeatable. Most of my work is in AL, but I have held those kinds of tolerances in RC44 4140 too. I've found that my biggest threat to accuracy is getting some swarf in the dovetails or on top of my quick change tool post.

I use a three-jaw set-tru chuck on my TL. If I feel I need to run collets, I just chuck up and center my Kalamazoo 5C collet chuck in the three-jaw MSC Item Detail

Good luck,
Eric

I use a Dorian QCTP on my machine so .0005 is easy to do. I don't know why you couldn't get .0002 if you didn't move the tool holder. Or if you tightened your tool holder with a torque wrench so you get good repeatability.

Steve and G Coder: hope you can take the time to answer this one:
I have two second ops lathes, both Hardinge, and a decent 12 x 36 for threading and scroll chuck work. I spend quite a bit of time setting up the lathes, as a number of things I do are one-offs and short runs. I would love to find a home for these 3 lathes and bring in a TL 1.
I would run the TL with 5c collets the majority of the time, and use 3 and 4 jaw chucks on occasion. What would the downside be, if any, with this plan?
Thanks.
This is a very sound plan. You should have no problem with the transition.

I think the TL-1 will do well for you but with either one I'd look hard at putting a gang tool setup on it.

This has two big benefits, a low cost auto tool changer and it eliminates tool post repeatability problems.

You can either fab up your own gang holder or buy one from these guys:

Engineered Concepts

I fabbed up my own using 1" tool holders since I already had a lot of those from a manual turret lathe I have, it works great. I have 5 positions in my gang bar, I use a single CCMT insert based tool setup to do both turning and facing and I pop in an insert for aluminum or steel as needed. I also have a cutoff tool, two drill chucks and a boring bar holder. These do 90% of my jobs for me, but occasionally I'll swap out one or two tools for a job, ie a tap holder.

Good luck-

Paul T.
Power Technology

I use a three-jaw set-tru chuck on my TL. If I feel I need to run collets, I just chuck up and center my Kalamazoo 5C collet chuck in the three-jaw MSC Item Detail

Eric,

I thought about that with my 4 jaw manual Mazak. It'd good to know someone else is doing that, too.

JAckal:cheers:

I get .0002 accuracy all the time on my TL-1. I have to tweak my programs and offsets some, but once I get there it is pretty darn repeatable. Most of my work is in AL, but I have held those kinds of tolerances in RC44 4140 too. I've found that my biggest threat to accuracy is getting some swarf in the dovetails or on top of my quick change tool post.

Good luck,
Eric

I've gotten 0.0003 on our TL-1. Takes practice and care, and you have to be running the right stuff. It's not a big lathe, it shouldn't be expected to perform like one :)

Back