What's new
What's new

Air blow and 4th axis on VF mill

Eric U

Hot Rolled
All,

I've got the factory air blow option on my VF2 that I really like when machining steel. I've also got a 4th axis rotary table. Problem is when machining something close to the top of my center vise on the table, the air blow setup hits the rotary table. Anyone found a fix for this? Move the air blow to another location?

As it stands right now, I remove the air cylinder and lines for the air blow when I have the rotary on the table and install when required. Even when removed, if I get too close to the bed with the spindle, the empty mounting bracket can hit the rotary if I'm not careful. I've thought of cutting the bracket off and mounting the air blow some other way, but nothing is coming to mind yet. Maybe just a lock-line instead of the magic expanding air cylinder...but mounted in a better location. I also wouldn't mind having the air blow pointing in some other direction so chips are less likely to get into my tool carousel.

Any good solutions out there?

Thanks,
Eric U

Solutions

Hi Eric,

Do you by chance have any pictures showing your present installation with the 4 axis and a part in it?

You might be able to use some type of a bracket that would hold a piece of air brake tubing i.e. 1/4 OD and possibily use some type of coiled spring on the OD to stabalize it, yet move if it accidently hit the 4th axis. Something like a strain relief on a garden hose on a minature scale.

Just a thought???

John

Pictures

1st picture...crowded table on my VF-2
2nd picture, showing that I couldn't even get my face mill to the top of the soft jaws without the air blow setup hitting the rotary. Don't even try to use that air blow on something held in the rotary.
3rd picture, closeup of the knob hitting the rotary. Luckily, when actually machining, it mostly just bends and rotates out of the way.
4th picture, showing the air-blow removed so I can machine something close to the vise. When trying to side mill a part sticking out of the right side of the vise I can still hit the air-blow mounting bracket on the top of the rotary. One of the problematic cuts I make is a center-line slit on the side of a part held in the rotary. The mounting bracket skims the top of the rotary.

Thanks for any suggestions...
Eric U

Attachments

• CIMG1402.jpg
    CIMG1402.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,236
  • CIMG1403.jpg
    CIMG1403.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 644
  • CIMG1404.jpg
    CIMG1404.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 790
  • CIMG1405.jpg
    CIMG1405.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 495
Relocation of Air Gun

Hi Eric,

I wonder how much your air gun weighs?

One first thought I have a couple of suggestions. Move the air nozzle a little bit further forward and possibly change the angle slightly.

I have a Noga magnetic base that I use with my dial indicators. You loosen just one knob and you can rotate both axis and tighten the knob and you are ready to go. If it would support that much weight it might be ideal for your purposes. If the magnet would not hold it you could probably just bolt it direct to your present mounting plate. Here is a You Tube video of one of them in action. I don't think it is the particular model I have but you get the idea. I believe they are available with different length arms.

YouTube - NOGA MA HOLDER.avi

One of the products I make has a positionable arm. It is actually from a light stand that is used for holding a reflecting umbrella in the photography industry. I believe the swivel mechanism is about $35.00.

I will try and dig up some pictures of it and post them later.

John

We have a VF-3 and have our rotary mounted on the left side of the table (with the chuck facing the right), this way we avoid any interferance from the air-blast or the p-cool assy. We have a side-mount tool changer, but you must be aware if you are using any long tools when changing tools. Also with this setup, the tool-setting probe is mounted in the top right corner and as of yet haven't had to move it due to any of our fixturing.

I usually have my airgun removed as well as it's always in the way. Some good locline might be a decent replacement, maybe even attached to the pcool somehow so it can be positioned.

I don't think a magbase would work as when that nozzle goes shooting out it could jar the whole thing off or down at some stupid angle and cause problems.

I have often thought about getting a cold air gun for it. Was told be the tech that installed the machine that some guys had good luck putting the cold air vortex unit in the back of the machine where the line runs to the spindle, and then locline out on the spindle

PCOOL Attachment

Hi JP,

I have an air delivery system that attaches to the PCOOL nozzle that can be operated via an M Code or via a circuit that a friend of mine designed for me. It works like the Minimum Oil Machining (MOM) except that you can regulate the duration and frequency of the air blast. As it is attached to the PCOOL nozzle it maintains the correct postion for the particular tool in use. It can be programed to blow air instead of coolant with a flip of the switch. I haven't looked at the Cold Air Guns and don't know the size or weight but one of those could probably?????? be attached to the PCOOL nozzle as well.

I have a second air line hooked up to a Heinrich Foot Pedal that attaches to the same bracket on the PCOOL nozzle that can be manually operated when and if needed.

Here is a link to my website gallery to has a video that describes the operation and hookup.Helicopter John: ABOUT

Enjoy!

The way the tech was describing it to me, the cold air unit would be plumbed into the air line at the back end of the machine, then by the spindle all that would be needed was the nozzle to aim the air stream.

Back