What's new
What's new

Haas TL2 tooling question (newbie)

gear cutter

Cast Iron
Hi, I purchased a Haas TL2 in 2009 for my small gear shop. Since then I have got more work than I had ever expected. The lathe just can't keep up. It seems that we loose alot of time on tool changes and tooling set ups.

This is my question. Does anyone have any experience with a Dorian add on manual or automatic tool changer? Do they work? Or are they a waste of money? Are there any other tool changing alternatives for this machine that will work?
Thank you. Tim

Tim,

I don't really waste too much time on tooling setups, as I have over 20 tool holders. All the offsets are already in the machine so I can just program and go. The only time I need to change offsets is when I change out a drilling or centerline tool and I need to change the z-offset on that tool.

I have no experience with the Dorian tool changers, but many folks love setting up these TL lathes with a gang tool setup. I'm working on one for my machine for some of those repeat jobs that get real tedious with the tool changes. Dorian makes a gang tool setup, and a guy on eBay sells gang setups that would work for this lathe too. Unless you are doing real long parts or shaft work, a gang setup should work fine. The nice thing about the Dorian setup is you keep your toolpost for your normal toolroom work.

Eric U

We have the Dorian Jet Stream tool holder and like it very much. The accuracy is good even when changing the tools in a production situation every 30 seconds.

I am very interested in feedback regarding the Dorian automatic turret.

Thank You

Athack

Back