What's new
What's new

"Installing" tools on TL-1

gunsmither

Aluminum
Complete newbie here on my TL-1, so please bear with me. I'm using the Haas Visual Quick Code to learn the basic operations of this machine, as I'm somewhat familiar with the VQC on my TM-1 Mill.

I've followed the Haas manual instructions for touching off the tool; tool number 1 for a simple face and turn job. I've entered all the info in VQC, then I've gone to MDI mode, and punch the start button.

An alarm comes up saying - "install tool # 1" . I thought I'd already "installed" tool #1 when I touched it off on the part and entered the info in the offset page. Seems like I'm missing something here, and the manual is not very helpful, to put it mildly.

I am currently using a Dorian Quick Change toolpost with a single tool at a time. Can someone explain the tool installation/set up procedure? Any help will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year to all! Joe

Joe,

One of the first things you have to do when touching off a tool is to make sure the machine KNOWS that is the tool you are using. Just because you told VQC you were running tool #1 doesn't mean the machine knows what tool is installed when you do your offsets. In MDI mode, enter "1" and then "Turret FWD" or "Turret REV". The machine will start beeping at you to change the tool. After you change your tool press the green start button to complete the tool change. Now the machine knows what tool you have on the tool-post. Touch off as required to get your offsets and now you can run your program. It can get ugly if you set offsets using the wrong tool...been there done that.

The intuitive programming is much easier to learn on than visual quick code, in my opinion.

What I do for my tool offsets is I set tool #1 to 0.0001 in both x and z and then set G54 (work offset) to get the proper results. It has been a while since I set G54 in X, but I believe it is the same process as setting the tools, just a different offset page. The control can't handle a tool with a zero offset, that is why I use .0001. Then I set all the other tools from that work offset, just make sure you change the tool in the control before touching off. That way, when you crash your machine and move the tool post slightly (it will happen, part of the learning process)...when you get the tool-post aligned again all you have to do is set G54 so that tool #1 is zeroed and all the rest of your offsets are still intact.

After all the tools are set, all you have to do for a new program is install a tool, make sure the control knows it is that tool, then set G54 in Z for your starting part length.

Make sure your rapid is set to 5% or at most 25% when running new parts or trying something new. Watch the "distance to go" on your display to make sure it looks right as the tool approaches the part. After successfully running a part, then you can increase the rapids. If you do this, your chances of crashing the machine and knocking your tool-post out of alignment will be much less.

Good Luck!
Eric U

Still somewhat confused!

Thanks for the info Eric U. I now understand how to set the tool in play. Nowhere in the manual does it state to hit the magic green button to install the tool. At least I can't find it anywhere. The user manual is a bad joke.

To set the work offsets I'm still in "Duh" mode! Can you explain that procedure?

Thanks a lot! Joe

Joe,

Work offsets are set exactly the same as tool offsets, it is just on a different offsets page. Just push the "Offsets" button until the work offsets page comes up (G54, G55, etc.). Move the highlighted area down to the G54 row and place on either the x or z offset area. Then simply do the "Z face measure" or X diameter measure" as necessary.

As I understand it you can do this with the Intuitive Programming, but I just do it directly on the offsets page.

You also didn't mention what year your machine is. I'm working off of an early 2008 control, so if you have a new one my information may be dated.

Eric U

Sorry for resurecting an old thread....

Similar situation myself on a new to me 2008 TL1, and some good info here.

My specific issue is also to do with new learning on this machine, and have got my head round most things using the IPS system. I have been trying to compile a program of multiple tool operations, but cannot seem to figure out how to insert a machine / program stop inc moving the tool holder to a convenient spot for a manual tool change? Any tips?

Many thanks.

Hello,

M00 is a stop that requires you to push cycle start button to go again. Use G00 to rapid to a safe spot to change tools. The IPS has a dialog for rapid movements. Ask more questions and I will answer what I can.

Athack

I may be missing where you called your tool using M6.
Somewhere machine needs a M6 T1

M6 T1 (M6 Tool Change T1 Too1 #1)
G43 H1 (H43 Call up Height Offset #1)
D1 (call Tool Dia Offset #1)

Machine is dumb as a pile of rocks, you need to tell machine which tool to use...sometimes even if its sitting in the spindle. Also need to tell it speed and a direction to turn...dumb arse machines.

I may be missing where you called your tool using M6.
Somewhere machine needs a M6 T1

M6 T1 (M6 Tool Change T1 Too1 #1)
G43 H1 (H43 Call up Height Offset #1)
D1 (call Tool Dia Offset #1)

Machine is dumb as a pile of rocks, you need to tell machine which tool to use...sometimes even if its sitting in the spindle. Also need to tell it speed and a direction to turn...dumb arse machines.

Thread is about a lathe :D

Thread is about a lathe :D

Well then one of us has egg on their face I'd say.

But in my defense L comes right before M and a TM is a Mill and come to mention it TM Mill was in 1st or 2nd sentence...I know that means nothing, but no idea how I missed that, lol.

Okay, so back to the question...If running in MDI on a LATHE, machine is still as dumb as a bag of rocks.

Have to call your tool up in program. Machine needs to see a line with "T101" where T1 is the LATHE Tool Number and the 01 part is the offset number.

If you want to use Tool #5 and the offsets for Tool #5, you need to go to a safe place (home) then Call it up..."T505". Turret index's to T5 and uses values you entered in T5's offsets.
FYI- could also use different offsets for each tool...Say it's a Combo Drill Boring bar in Turret Position 10. You may use T1010 for using as a drill on centerline then when you want to bore using the top insert you set the values in Offset of your choosing..let say offset 11...so to drill you call T1010, then to use same tool as a boring bar, you call T1011 and go to town boring.

Installing and Touching off your tooling only puts those values into the register.

You need to "call" the Tool and the Tool Offset in your program so machine can move in relation to that tool.

Back