What's new
What's new

1996 HL-4 Turret Removal

PFMN

Plastic
Hi. We have a '96 Haas HL-4 lathe that has been almost problem free. We have searched posts and believe our die springs are going out in the turret (slow to push out, lock fault alarms, clunking sounds :eek: ). My husband wants to replace them himself and loosened the center cap bolts but the turret seemed stuck. It's been on it for 14+ years and we're thinking it's just stuck from age, but before he makes a puller for it I thought I'd see if we've missed something.

Thanks ;)

Michelle

Just pulled one last week. Don't take the center bolts out until you take the cover off the indexer gearbox and then unclamp the turret and block the turret shaft so that it won't retract when you remove the turret, otherwise you can't geit the turret back on with out taking the gearbox completly apart. Been there.

When you replace the die springs also do the bolts, thrust bearing and "O" ring on the turret. The service manual is really good on this, except they don't tell how to get it together if the balls in the turret clamp fall out, that's why you block the shaft.

You might want to check the clamp for wear ours did wear and wouldn't clamp tight so we had to put a new one in, it had a retainer to keep the balls in place (was a good idea).

WGE

Back