What's new
What's new

Alarm 235 spindle z fault

TimH

Hot Rolled
I have been gettting this error intermitently on my TM2. Is it possible that the encoder is dirty? I really hate the thought of having a Haas tech come in. It was fairly rare but seems to be getting more frequent

Update: Belt on the encoder was a bit loose. I moved the encoder a bit to tighten. I check the orientaion using instructions found on fixmyhaas.com I've got a feeling that I'm going to need to replace this belt in the very near future. Does anyone know of a sourse for this belt? ThanksTim

What is the description of the fault? Z or spindle? sounds confusing. It is VERY rare that an encoder will get something in it in a modern motor. They are supposed to be sealed as well as the encoder. yeah, I would think if the belt or pulleys slip, it would cause a error but I am not sure if this is the Z or spindle you are dealing with..

It was the spindle encoder. I tightened the belt. MAchine seems to run fine. I'm going to have to see if Haas will sell me the belt. I found a website called fixmyhaas.com They explain how to orient the spindle encoder after exchanging tihe belt. I saw a post by someone saying that a Belt from a Dyson vacuum cleaner is a match. I emailed him hopefully he will let me know the Dyson part number

Thanks Cheenist. I assume you purchased from a Haas dealer. Did they tell you to reset the parameters to get the spindle to orient again?

Thanks Cheenist. I assume you purchased from a Haas dealer. Did they tell you to reset the parameters to get the spindle to orient again?

Tim,
You can get the belt from Allendale. They have them on the shelf. They should be able to email you the procedure to re-align you spindle too. If not I can send it to you. Take a good look at the sprockets too.

We just put a new set of belts on our VF7 and had to go through that.
Pretty easy to do.

Tim,
You can get the belt from Allendale. They have them on the shelf. They should be able to email you the procedure to re-align you spindle too. If not I can send it to you. Take a good look at the sprockets too.

We just put a new set of belts on our VF7 and had to go through that.
Pretty easy to do.

Thanks ARB, I'll give Allendale a call. I will probably replace the sprockets also. I have quite a bit of work coming up and I don't want it to fail at an inopportune time. Thanks Again

Parts are not all that expensive to be searching all over the place of a spare.

I had to replace my spindle belt recently on the Ol' VF-1. They told me 2 hundred bucks...almost fell off the chair. Figured I'd get the one from Haas ASAP then order a replacement elsewhere. Turns out, $200 was for a pair of belts and replacement belts I found elsewhere were not that far off. The where kevlar re-enforced or something.

As to lining up the spindle for a new belt...anybody but me just hit the Spindle Orient button, then orient the spindle lugs to the tool changer. I do this by sliding the motor back a bit where the belt has enough slack to slip over the pulley lobes , check orientation, move check and then locate motor and good to go. I've done it the right way...but seems like so much more of a pain...especially on the old machines with the Mechanical Pin.

Update: Belt on the encoder was a bit loose. I moved the encoder a bit to tighten. I check the orientaion using instructions found on fixmyhaas.com I've got a feeling that I'm going to need to replace this belt in the very near future. Does anyone know of a sourse for this belt? ThanksTim

Hey Tim glad you found our site useful. I know it's been a while since you posted this and you said the problem was the belt, but just in case you're still getting an intermittent Spindle Z Fault you should also check the spindle fan. I have seen machines get this alarm intermittently when the encoder gets too hot. This usually only happens on machines where the encoder is mounted on top of the motor.

If the spindle is running the fan should be on.

Hey Tim glad you found our site useful. I know it's been a while since you posted this and you said the problem was the belt, but just in case you're still getting an intermittent Spindle Z Fault you should also check the spindle fan. I have seen machines get this alarm intermittently when the encoder gets too hot. This usually only happens on machines where the encoder is mounted on top of the motor.

If the spindle is running the fan should be on.

Hello Fixmyhaas,

Your site was a real help to me. I hope others find their way there. The fan seems to be running OK. One thing I have noticed. The orientation of the spindle seems to change intermittently. I think the belt may be sloppy enough to cause a problem with orientation but not bad enough to throw an alarm. Sometimes the tools don't quite line up with the "ears" on the spindle. Could possibly be one of the sprockets is slightly loose so the value for Param 257 changes. I will be ordering a couple of belts and a set of sprockets this week from Allendale Machine.

I figured I would update this thread. Turned out the encoder was bad. When I replaced the belt I noticed that the encoder had play in the shaft. So I ordered an encoder from my HFO. They replace the optical encoder with a magnetic one. You also need an adapter cable because the plugs are different. You also have to change some of the parameters. Overall the fix took (give or take ) an hour. Everything is running fine again. As mentioned above I got some valuable info from FixMyHaas.com If you have a Haas stop by there and check out the site.

One thing that kind of surprized me. The sprocket on top of the spindle is glued on. No set screw or clamping collar. Just glue. Seems like a problem just waitng to happen

Hey Tim. There should have also been a set screw. The glue is just extra protection so the sprocket doesn't come loose. The sprocket definitely should have a place for a set screw so if it was missing you'll probably want to replaced it.

Hey Tim. There should have also been a set screw. The glue is just extra protection so the sprocket doesn't come loose. The sprocket definitely should have a place for a set screw so if it was missing you'll probably want to replaced it.

There was a set screw on the encoder sprocket but not on the spindle sprocket. I didn't replace the spindle sprocket because of this and getting it off would have been a real hassle. If it comes loose or wears too much I'll replace it then. I thought about slitting it and putting a clamping collar around it. That might make it imbalanced though so I didn't.

Just heat. The ID of the sprocket is under size for the spindle. It expands when it's heated and fit's tight once it's cooled off.

Back