What's new
What's new

Haas VMC options... who to call to find out what it has ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
2008 year Haas VMC...if I call parts with serial number can they look up what options it came with...or will they fret about that ?

(and yes I know the options are on a sticker inside the electrical cabinet but can't access that sticker)

I'm not sure that the post purchase options would be listed in the cabinet also...?

I would certainly think that calling the HFO or Haas directly would get you all of that information, though. I had the probe installed a year and a half after buying my mill, so I don't know if Haas has record of that of if my dealer retains that itself...or both (which is more likely)

Turns out it's the Haas service department that can look up the options. Glad I called as this one has practically no options.. 4th axis interface and floppy drive...that's all.

Rigid tapping could be "turned on" for $1,295 after the fact.... I wonder if they would have a record of that if previous owner did so after purchase ?

I misread. For some reason I thought you were calling a HFO. (Haas Factory Outlet if you're not familiar) HFO's have the info you need as well.

Don

I might be out of line here, but as I understand all of the VF, ST and SL series machines include rigid tapping in the base price.
Have a 2001 SL10, 2002 MiniLathe, 2002 MiniMill and 2007 VF4, all of them have Rigid tapping and all of them were "non-optional" features.

They were enabled in the machine from the getgo, no unlock necessary.
BUT!
I did have a software upgrade to the SL10, and after the reload the tech had to call Haas to re-enable the feature.

A quick glance at Haas's website shows no option or price for Rigid Tapping.

Don

I might be out of line here, but as I understand all of the VF, ST and SL series machines include rigid tapping in the base price.
Have a 2001 SL10, 2002 MiniLathe, 2002 MiniMill and 2007 VF4, all of them have Rigid tapping and all of them were "non-optional" features.

They were enabled in the machine from the getgo, no unlock necessary.
BUT!
I did have a software upgrade to the SL10, and after the reload the tech had to call Haas to re-enable the feature.

A quick glance at Haas's website shows no option or price for Rigid Tapping.
Well, you got me to wondering and I just now revisited the Haas website and if you look at the MiniMill VMC and click 'control options' rigid tapping is one of the options. Could it be that in previous generations of the MiniMill, it was standard but they later made it an option ? If not, curious that the Haas service tech seemed to think it was an option on that serial number machine as well.

Don, I'm sure Rigid tap WAS optional in the past. Friend of mine has a 97 and a 98 VF1. Back then the RT was in fact a separate option.
I also think at one time only the TL and TM machines needed a separate purchase of the option, all others - including the Minis - were standard.
Haas did make quite a few changes to the options, some were going back and forth even, so who knows.
One thing is for sure, the '07 VF was supplied standard with the RT, so in '08 I don't think there was too much difference.
What model is the one you have BTW?

Don
For a while it sounded like you were retiring from "playing with machines" glad to see I was wrong.
Your items seem to be of quality,that can only be good.
best of luck
Gw

The responses are confusing but FWIW the particular mill in question is now a moot point. It was an auction situation and the price went too high....somewhere in the $23,000 range for something you could buy new for $32,000 I think.

Milacron

I believe all HAAS machines have a synchronized tapping option from the factory. If that's the case, G84 would still thread, reverse, back out. However, you would not be able to re tap a hole.

I believe all HAAS machines have a synchronized tapping option from the factory. If that's the case, G84 would still thread, reverse, back out. However, you would not be able to re tap a hole.

It will not tap unless you have a special tap holder.

They forgot to turn this option on....broke several taps before we figured it out.

Back