What's new
What's new

1990 Haas VF1

ranchak

Cast Iron
There is a 1990 VF1 for sale on the local CL. It has an intermittent spindle driver error. Some days it will run, some days it won't. The seller had a Hass repair man out and he said it probably has a bad I/O board. I know that nobody can say for sure what the problem is, but I am a bit leary buying a machine that doesn't run. The price seems fair, $5000. But by the time I pay to have it hauled and get a board installed I probably have another $1000. I honestly don't know anything about Haas machines, I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I really don't need a problem machine. The seller stated that the original owner cut aluminum with it, it has the 5K spindle. There where a number of the original boards replaced and there are new brushes for the drive motors (not installed). I guess I'm just looking for someone to enter their $.02. I don't know if this is a good deal or a deal I should stay clear of. I cut about 90% aluminum and plastic. What I want to do with this machine is make aluminum connecting rods and other aluminum parts. I currently have a BP Series 1 CNC, but I would like to have a machine that has flood coolant, an enclosure, more rigidity and an ATC. Thanks in advance.

From what I understand no cnc mill in the us ever cuts steel or exotics lol

Haas....easy and cheap to fix generally

If you are limited budget wise...5 k and 2 k to repair....7 k for a good mill ASsuming the rest is in order.

Gamble no doubt

Unless you can do a full machine inspection under power, it's just like being in Vegas.

But odds are in your favor. Never heard of a haas that could not be fixed, just a matter of what exactly needs fixing...is it the i/o board, or the i/o board, drive and spindle motor?

Only way I see to make your odds better would be get a tech out there and diagnose it with certainty before making an offer. He says he had a tech out there....that means there is a report, where is it? If it does not exist then he is FOS IMO.

Personally I'd never buy a non running machine.

He'll I've had enough problems with them when they are running. :D

LOL "get a tech out to diagnose it". I have yet to meet a "tech" from Haas though some of their guys in phone tech are good. one thing worth considering is the spindle drive has a problem. They get pricey if you are not electronics repair minded. I would certainly pin it down to the right fix since those components are not cheap. I think your best bet on this one since you seem to not be as up to speed with machine repairs, bring in a Haas tech for a quality inspection to check the axis, servos, spindle, TC, etc. 5K IMO is not a steal for that machine. That is exactly what it is worth. If it was minty and ran like a top, that might be a better deal. Problem with CNC machines is the cost to fix them when they fail but knock on wood, I have yet to spend any appreciable amount on any of ours but I won't hire a tech either. Just don't trust them..

OH, there is not question that machine WILL run on a phase converter. 99% of machines will if the converter is tuned correctly.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm starting to think I will pass on this machine, sounds like too much work. I'll keep looking around, something will turn up.

Viper whats the LOL....?

Ive had a haas tech out to my little shop twice for issues on my machine.

Always been fixed on the spot.

Haas is not the most robust machine out there but there service is hard to beat at least around here.

BTW like I wrote above, they document every minute they are there so if that machine was inspected there should be a report somewhere.

I've had no issues with Haas techs either. Haas factory service is very good around here.

We also have independant Haas techs that are good too. Nice to have choices :)

Tri-Techcnc

Maybe it's just your location Viper.

I run Haas mostly because of the service and tech support.

The machines are what they are...lots of similar machines on the market, but unless I want to up the ante a good deal Haas fits my bill and when I do have issues...Service has yet to let me down.

I have a VF-1 machine of that vintage. A good solid machine to this day, still make money with it. I have had some simple and some not so simple repairs on her. All parts can still be had, can't say that for other brand machines.

Down side is some "New Parts" are not always compatible with "Old Parts". So aside of just replacing an $800 motor, you need to go for a $1500 board to drive it as well and vise versa. Or have a third party fix it. Not always the case...but its the down side of old machines.

Hopefully not subject to all areas. I had to teach one how to read his multimeter... Then teach him about the machine HE was charging a friends shop to fix. Documentation of the machines has nothing to do with the service guy on the job. IME, the ones in the midwest have been parts changers at the expense of the machine owner. After that, I said never in my shop..

I am sure you all know how I rave about Haas's service otherwise though. They help everywhere they can. Just need to watch for ignorant techs in the field. They leave a bad taste and I have to wonder just how many are floating around out there.

Viper, that is sad to hear.
For me, Service is the Edge that keeps me purchasing Haas machines. Without the service to back the machines my choice would be blurred.

I have only had a less then qualified tech from Haas here once. A trainee, trailing a Tech. I was getting a bit hot under the collar wondering what they were going to charge me for this Trainee assisting the tech on a gearbox swap-out. I was thinking of confronting them and or the HFO, but decided it was best to let them finish. I kept an eye on progress, time they spent etc. I tallied up what I thought I was a fair price, made some notes and waited for the bill. Turns out they did not charge for a very large portion of the trainees time....only time spent doing basic tasks like closing up the machine and reinstalling the plastic cover back on the machine.

I'm willing to bet the issues are in bad connections/wires. While restoring my '97 VF-0 that "ran when we parked it". I pulled all the covers off and started eyeballing and checking resistance on all switches and leads. Lead to motor had large chaffing spot, outer insulation worn thru and just starting on one wire. The tool changer had broken wire hidden inside conduit. Encoder connection housing was loose and had rattled and rubbed to the point of shorting out, no harm done. Stuck micro-switch on shot pin. X axis home limit switch had a very sketchy repair done to the wire. Door switches were stuck. All in all it took about $100.00 in parts and about thirty hours labor, most on cleaning and restoring way covers. Runs great, time to get the cabinet back on.

My point - If the machine is basically sound - wait it out, offer a lower price, take time to fix it yourself, the service books are good, just takes time and elbow grease.

I think I will wait awhile and see what happens. If it still is available in a week or so I may go and look at it and make an offer. Thanks for all of the input.

Haas vf-1

ranchak
I bought a VF-1 a few years ago and the same porblem you discribed showed up a few days after I got it home and started to use it. The tech replaced the main board (mother board I believe). This fixed the problem. I later sold the machine to a friend and it is still running today. I had some other problems with the machine (oil line broke to the Z axes berarings) With usage comes repairs. You have to be careful with the plastic covers on the machine. The tool changer is not as good as later ones. On the later machines you can stop the spindle in the middle of the program and restart it, on the 1990 you could not restart.

Glenn

Back