What's new
What's new

TL-1 or TL-2, please help me decide!

FugginZukin

Banned
Hello Folks,

I am looking to buy one of these two Haas model lathes, and I am torn between the TL-2 and the TL-1. It looks like an approx. ~4K difference between the two, which for the most part, is a moot point in this decision.

It looks like the TL-2 has much more HP/low end torque, more Z thrust, bigger spindle bore, longer DBC, yada, yada.

Now, the question:

Is the TL-2 built beefier than the TL-1? Is the extra power, etc. useable on the TL-2? Is it built rigid enough to handle the extra umph? In other words, if the extra $4K is worth it in terms of performance (heavier/faster cuts) than I am all for it. If not, than I might as well save some cash and just get the TL-1.

The lathe will be used to cut lots of 4130/4140 and everything else far and between.

Thanks!

Double check which size bar each can run...That may decide which one you want.

Also, the 10" chuck (on the 2) is a PAIN to get off and on easily if you ever plan on swapping it out for a collet closer. We would swap out the TL-1 all the time...but the TL-2's chuck was pretty much permanent.

I ran both a lot and did like both, but the TL-1 was obviously a bit more intimate and easier as it is just smaller and more convenient when reaching around for the control, nobs, chuck, toolpost, etc...

You can run a pretty good size part on the TL-1 also. It's just whether or not you want the lesser convenience of the larger machine in trade off for the potential to run larger parts.

I have a TL1.
The only reason I purchased a TL1, and not the TL2, is because my garage is very small, and the extra length of the TL2 was a problem.

I wish I had the TL2. The larger bore would be a huge advantage.

Also, I frequently limit the feed per revolution when drilling, because the Z-axis thrust maxes out. Again, the TL2 would have an advantage.

I doubt there are any significant differences in rigidity between the TL1 and the TL2. In fact, given the slight weight difference between the TL1 and the TL2, it appears the TL1 might be more rigid.

Overall, I like the TL1, but if you have the space, get the TL2.

I have an 05 TL-1. It's a great machine, but it needs more tq. When the spindle speed is low, like for threading larger parts or acme threads, the lack of tq is very noticable. Also for turning steel in the 2-3" range the doc is limited by the lack of tq.

I'd go for the TL-2 if I could do it again. Or maybe the 3 with the gearbox :)

Bigger machine, bigger capacity, more power and more power to run. Smaller parts become cumbersome and slow to run due to size of machine. Kinda holds true for all machines...

Which to get, it really depends on your jobs.

CNC machining isn't quite like hogging and roughing on your conventionals. To me its a series of quicker automated cuts. With Haas expect an additional cut or two as well...not the most robust powerhouse machines on the market.

Thanks for the input guys, I greatly appreciate it. You all pretty much confirmed my thoughts.

I went to the Haas dealer today and I gotta say I was pretty impressed with the TL machines. A lot of bang for the buck there. Not seeing one in person and hearing the "non-haas" owners trying to pawn them off like they are a POS machine, had me skeptical. The TL series looks like a great value for the money. I'll be going with the TL-2 version as I believe I've got the room for it, and would like the higher performance.

I'll be going back to the dealer on Monday to finalize the negotiations. Time to wheel and deal!

Thanks again.

I don't have a proto trak tool room lathe but do know they are available. Would they be worth considering?

I don't have a proto trak tool room lathe but do know they are available. Would they be worth considering?

Funny you mentioned this. I spent a half hour on the phone with one of their reps last week. I was interested in their 1840. Apparently those are discontinued and being replaced with the newer 1845. According to him, the 1845s are just starting to build inventory at this point. They are also performing final testing on these so feedback all around is non-existent. He also said they are much lighter in weight than the previous version; if that matters.

One thing that I was bummed about on the Prototrak lathes was that they didn't have a spindle positioning option on the control as to where the Haas does. This is essential for me as I plan on running a single pneumatic live tool off of their 4 pos. turret to drill a few indexed centerline holes. For this, the Haas wins for me.

I have a proto trak k3 knee mill and have been very pleased just thought I would mention it about the lathes they offer,

I have a proto trak k3 knee mill and have been very pleased just thought I would mention it about the lathes they offer,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have heard nothing but good things about SWI's products.

I gotta say, I am highly impressed with the level of service from Haas so far. I don't know if the bad economy has anything to do with it, but holy cow, do they treat you well. I am pretty new to CNC and had a lot of stupid questions and the rep did an excellent job of not making me feel like an idiot. He dedicated a lot of time going over the machine, control, suggestions, etc. I guess I am just kind of awe struck as I haven't gotten good service from anywhere like this in a long time. Hopefully the rest of the process is just as smooth.

The rep just drove to my house and I got the P.O. signed for a TL-2. This should be fun, I can't wait.

Can you fill us in on how this worked out, I am in the market for one of these, and if the TL-2 is really that much better i would eb interested.

I am planing on turning small parts 1" cylindrical parts with 0.125" cross sections, has anyone attempted this? I would like to be able to hold a 0.0005" diameter tolerance. Probably will be lots of 4140.

Also, can you use both the tool post and the auto tool changer? Did you get the 3500 RPM motor, I am thinking i might need that extra bit of speed.

One last question, did you get the chip shield or whatever, the website requires that with the 3500 rpm option.

Check the bore of the chuck! My TL2 has a Röhm chuck (250 mm), but its bore is just 60 mm. So the spindle bore of the TL2 isn't of much help (unless I bore out the chuck ...).
Length between centers isn't an argument for me, I never used that.
More umph is good! I bore 35 mm in 1045 without pilot hole. But that's already the limit.
If you need to turn at the full center height, pay attention! Tools don't reach easily to more than 300 mm diameter. And at that diameter, there is only little torque.

But still happy with here.

Nick

Hey gus for what its worth the SWI lathes are pretty decent but have memory problems when you power down the machine you lose all offsets. and the belts are v belts that can slip under heavy loads ( my experience) I have also run the tl1 and it is a much better machine than the swi in my opinion
Haas does offer an automatic tool changer for the tl series lathes but ours is pretty slow. Repeatability is excellent on the haas and the SWI but I much prefer the Haas.

Check the bore of the chuck! My TL2 has a Röhm chuck (250 mm), but its bore is just 60 mm. So the spindle bore of the TL2 isn't of much help (unless I bore out the chuck ...).
Nick

Hi Nick,

I ran into this Issue too, I went with an 8" chuck and once I noticed that, I wish I had ordered the 10"
So I'll either bore it if it doesnt affect it's function, or I'll swap it out.
I want to adapt our 4 jaw chuck down the road.

h.s.

Back