What's new
What's new

Lathes with toolsetters - T-offset pickup

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Question for guys with Haas lathes w. toolsetters:
Is it possible to pick up the tools to either the toolsetter OR the Z-face of the part?
If yes, then how?
Can the "T-offs-measure uses work" parameter be turned on?

Yes, it is possible. I would use G54 as 0 for the tools touched on the face and G55 as the distance from the probe to the face.

Ken, that's what I thought ...
I was helping out one of my customer with their new machine and I've worked around it a little differently for now, but I'm afraid it will lead to some confusions later on. Some of their fixtures are so large that the probe arm cannot swing down and it is impossible to pick tools up with the setter.

Just a curious question. Since that method requires a careful implementation that all programs are written in something other than the G54 workoffset, would it be possible in a later sw release to do either pickup method regardless of the workoffset Z?
I mean it would seem rather simple to implement in the t-offset pickup code so the machine recognizes the difference of probe vs. Z0 touchoff and apply a different algorithm to enter the Z-tool offset.
In pseudocode, this is what I thought might be possible:

ToolTouchoff
If UsingProbe then
T-offs=G53 Zvalue
else
If "T-offs-measur-uses-work"=on then
T-offs=G53 Zvalue + currentOffsetZ
else
T-offs=G53 Zvalue
Endif
Endif

I'm sure you understand the possible pitfalls with the current options.

If you use your recommendation, one must make sure that G54 is active during tool touchoff and G54 IS NOT active at any other time during MDI or program run.
If they use my method, which is to touch off to the Z-face and then subtract the G54 Z-value, then they might forget that last step.... which will lead to crashing the tool into the chuck quite violently.

We had something similar where the Presetter couldn't be used. Figured a simple work around for the job....but then on the next job my man almost crashed the machine as he forgot how we offset tools.

From now on its set them with the Presetter...period-ish . OR set them some other way...but when you are done ALL TOOLS get pulled, offsets are set back to ZERO Immediately no wait til later or Monday and we go back to using the Presetter.

Just too easy to make a mistake...found that out with G110 too... forgot it was in the middle of a loop and it did not reset back to the original G54 Starting Z Point....Caught it just in the nick of time.

Try using setting 64, Tool offset uses work offset.

Ken

That was the question in the first place.
Can it be turned ON and still use either/or to pick the tools without care of what's in the Z-offset?
On the Fanucs it doesn't matter, you can set to the setter with the jog and automatic pickup OR you can manually set to the Z-face with Z-face measure, the end result will be the same.

I don't have the lathe, so cannot test it out at the moment but would be nice to come up with a foolproof method.

Back