What's new
What's new

Tool & Pocket Number

Bawl'n Bluetick

Plastic
Is there a parameter that could be changed so that the tool always goes back into the same pocket number?
For instance, tool 1 is always in pocket 1, tool 7 would always be in pocket 7 etc.
The machine is a VF-1 with a side mount tool changer.

Thanks.

It is doable, but I don't know what setting it is. Keep in mind that this will double your tool change times. Do you want to do this or are you just asking if it is doable?

For a 24 pocket tool changer, just command T25 M06 before every tool change and before the M30. It will put T25 (edge finder maybe?) into the pocket for the tool you are using, then pull it back out after the tool is done.

I want to do this to make it easier for people to look at the tool carosel and know what tool they need. I know this will cause a longer tool change time but that's Ok.

In MDI, where you would normally call a tool like this: T1>ATC FWD, instead type P1 and it will change to pocket 1, no matter what tool number is in that pocket. There's also a tool list in the offsets area (OFFSET>PAGE UP twice) that tells you what tool is in what pocket.

Don't fight it, learn how to use it.

I'm with Matt, sidemounts are great at being fast and stageable, why make it work like a carousel. I use the P# command alot, and then just look under the current command window and it will tell you what tool is in the spindle, or us the tool offsets page that shows pocket numbers and tool numbers.

I believe the only reasoning behind Haas using a "random pocket" style side mount changer is to save money. We have a few Kitamura verticals with side mount changers and they are fixed pocket...doesn't add any time chip to chip for a tool change.
Process:
1- call up next tool in prog...carousel advances to that tool
2- machine part
3- tool change..pot stays down until carousel rotates to corresponding pocket (while machine is in motion proceeding with program)
4- pot up to put tool away
*another perk with these machines is they use a servo motor to rotate the carousel..makes rotation faster vs the geneva setup Haas uses, We recently purchased a Haas EC-400 with 70 tools and that huge wheel takes FOREVER to rotate, I've run into a few occasions where the machine is waiting for the next tool.

Process:
1- call up next tool in prog...carousel advances to that tool
2- machine part
3- tool change..pot stays down until carousel rotates to corresponding pocket (while machine is in motion proceeding with program)
4- pot up to put tool away

Care to take a video of that toolchanger and post it somewhere?
I cannot picture it unless there is a second toolchanger arm which is responsible for actually removing and inserting the tool into the carousel.
In that case you cannot compare the two as the style employed by Haas is by far the most typical.

Back