What's new
What's new

Program Upload

Dayton Murdock

Plastic
I have a 1990 VF-1 and I need to upload and download programs for my laptop. What is the best way to do this and what hardware do I need to buy?
Can I use a USB port?

It should have a serial port, use a terminal program ( I prefer TeraTerm, free and reliable, available on the web. )
Use Xmodem protocol.
You will need a null modem adapter, $5 from RadioSmack.

I use some $150 dnc program

If you laptop does not have a serial output, you will need a PCI card to serial, my laptop does not have a serial output. The PCI and Express cards are more expensive but a lot more reliable than the USB to serial

The you will need to build a serial to RS232 cable, I don remember the pin out off hand but it should be in your manual

if you need more detailed info I will chime in later with the pinout and what not.

I'll be the odd guy out.

I hate downloading to older machines with newer computers and legacy ports. Laptops seem to be the worst.

I dedicate an old Computer (286, 386, Pentium, PII etc) by each of my Vintage CNC's, For Software, I use nothing newer then Windows 95...Straight DOS is my 1st choice, the Computer loads in seconds. All I leave on Computer is DOS, and Terminal program, lots of good Freeware to choose from. I leave the RS-232 cable attached to machine all the time. Rock Solid and simple on the downloads.

Computer dies, I can go to a local computer shop and they almost give them away...more often then not I make mention I'm looking for a dinosaur computer and someone has one to give...and happy to do so as they paid good money for it, still works perfect...just outdated.

Laptops with USB converter cables do work with Null Modem...I just find the Terminal Connections Glitchy. New computers also take forever to load up..then I worry about where to put the Laptop, who's touching it with coolant ladden hands or almost knock it over, tripped on cord yadda yadda yadda...

Vf-1 Commutation

Hi All
Is there any where I can buy a cable to connect to my laptop to my vf-1?
Then there is the software, I tried to down load from OneCNC and was unable to complete the registration process. What do you suggest for a commutation program?

Here is a no-bloat freeware:
Tera Term Home Page
Reliable and simple.

For cables, Radioshack. 9-25 pin RS232 cable and a 25-25 null modem.
The reason for the 25-25 is that you can mount it at the machine and take the clunkiness away from your laptop.
Alternately you can have a local computer shop make a null modem cable for ya, but that will be more expensive with no real benefit.

Back