What's new
What's new

Z servo fault 141

ARB

Titanium
1994 VF3 Brush servos.

Getting a Z Servo Fault 141. The service manual says likely the encoder is flaky or the motif board. I suspect the Servo most.

Has anyone else been down this road before? When I get the alarm the Z axis will coast a little. Yikes. When it does it while coming down onto a tool during a tool change.:eek:

BTW. This is the original servo for this machine. Not bad eh?

Book says it is an encoder error caused by a faulty encoder or wiring. Also check the belt on your encoder to make sure it is still serviceable. If the belt slips or jumps it will give that error I believe. I would expect a belt, but let us know.

If the head coasts down when the alarm happens it is because the servo shuts off and the counter balance is not proper. I think you must have the Nitrogen charged counter balance, so check that it has the proper charge. I believe on your machine that should be 750 PSI.

If you want to check to see if it is the servo, just swap the "Z" with one of the others. If you have an "A" 4th axis servo, swap it with the "Z." If it works you could works you could leave it that way and send the faulty one off for repair. If you do have a brush system, all of the servos are the same. Let me know if you need a place to fix it for you.

Good Luck---Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.
Welcome to the forum.

This machine has a hanging counterweight. It appears to be functioning correctly.

My xyz drives are all labeled with xyz on then. The A drive is labeled A only.
So maybe I will try switching the Y and Z and see what happens. The job that is running right now uses all 4 axis. So I need them all to keep running.

I will be on the phone with Haas Monday and if they concur I will just get a new servo. I really need to be back running Tuesday.

I may pull the servo today and give the encoder a look to make sure it is not something simple. Unless I find a smoking gun I'm not inclined to run. The last thing I need is for it to tear the tool changer off.:eek:

Back in action. Servo motor did the trick.

Not so sure I dig the new core charge bs Haas is going with. But at least the local dealer had the part on the shelf for my 17 year old machine.:)
:cheers:

Last edited:

Back