What's new
What's new

Deep hole drilling in two stages

Kev h

Cast Iron
Hi Guys

Is it possible on a Haas to drill a set of holes 33mm deep hole drilling then go around again 39mm deep hole drilling but rapiding to 32mm deep to start and each peck still coming out of hole to flush.

I'm trying to make drilling hole deeper than the flute length a little easier.

If possible could then leave unattended to go through all holes to flute depth then attend the last 6mm on all.

Cheers Kev :cheers:

Assuming the top of the work is not obstructed by ANYTHING within the hole pattern, you could use G98 for the 2nd iteration but you would probably want to make sure the existing holes are clear of old chips before going down to the bottom of the hole at rapid.

Kev, yes you can.
It is in parameters, something called "Can cycle retract above R"
What this parameter does is takes your R-plane from your drill cycle and adds this value to it to determine the retract plane.
Unfortunately it is in parameter, so you'd need to change it outside of the program, after which all G8X cycles will use the extended retract until you change it back.
If you have macros enabled, you might also be able to access the register from within the program so you can do it on the fly as well.

Just to clarify, this added value applies only to the retraction, so don't worry, you won't be drilling through 32mm worth of air first.

Thanks guys :) , will have a look later at this parameter.

Does sound a bit risky with swarf gathering in holes but would only rapid 80% of the way down i expect.

Kev, you shouldn't have any problems.
The previous pass should take out all the chips, and in essence going back there with a separate cycle should be no different than doing a single deep cycle.

I don't have a Haas, but i do this all the time without issue. I just write a marco for it, and that's that. I rapid down an .125" or so shy of the bottom, then go to town.

This is useful for me when drilling a feature that's say halfway into the part(2" or so). I normally drill with a bigger diameter drill(If the part allows) so i can UP the feed and not worry about drill breakage as much. I stop the "oversize" drill cycle just shy of the feature i'm trying to reach, then come back with the smaller drill and rapid down. In this case, i can only reach this feature in the first operation because the next op lays the part on it's side(90* to the spindle). In the second operation, the holes that where drilled with the "Oversize" drill gets chewed in roughing anyway. Hope i explained that right.

Kev, yes you can.
It is in parameters, something called "Can cycle retract above R"
What this parameter does is takes your R-plane from your drill cycle and adds this value to it to determine the retract plane.
Unfortunately it is in parameter, so you'd need to change it outside of the program, after which all G8X cycles will use the extended retract until you change it back.
If you have macros enabled, you might also be able to access the register from within the program so you can do it on the fly as well.

Just to clarify, this added value applies only to the retraction, so don't worry, you won't be drilling through 32mm worth of air first.

Seymour, are you saying the Haas control doesn't support the G98 (retract to initial plane <after retract to R plane>)

I have never run a Haas control, but all the other late CNC controls I am familiar with have this capability.:)

Seymour, are you saying the Haas control doesn't support the G98 (retract to initial plane <after retract="" to="" r="" plane="">)

I have never run a Haas control, but all the other late CNC controls I am familiar with have this capability.:)

No, that's not what I'm saying.
HAAS supports G98/G99 the same as any other machine, moreover, it supports it for individual holes as well.
Nonetheless, G98 is not applicable here as it won't solve Kev's issue, which is that he wants to start drilling @ 32mm depth but wants the retract between pecks to be above Z0. That is not possible with any Fanuc control AFAIK, but it is so on a Haas. By way of a control "setting", you can define a distance which is added in the + direction to the R=plane.
IOW the following code:
G00 X0 Y0 Z1.
G83 G98 Z.03 Z-1. Q.25 F1.

will drill @.25 increments, and between each increment it retracts to .03 above the part.
If you change the setting in the control to say .5, then the above code will retract to .53 above the part between pecks.
In his case, he can define his code as such:
G00 X0 Y0 Z10.
G83 Z-40. R-32. F10. Q1.

And with that he'd start drilling @-32mm, yet still retract to above 0mm between each 1mm peck depth.

BTW, the Haas uses absolute values for R, unlike some other retarded controls which use incremental R for some mysterious reason.

</after>

I don't have a Haas, but i do this all the time without issue. I just write a marco for it, and that's that. I rapid down an .125" or so shy of the bottom, then go to town.

This is useful for me when drilling a feature that's say halfway into the part(2" or so). I normally drill with a bigger diameter drill(If the part allows) so i can UP the feed and not worry about drill breakage as much. I stop the "oversize" drill cycle just shy of the feature i'm trying to reach, then come back with the smaller drill and rapid down. In this case, i can only reach this feature in the first operation because the next op lays the part on it's side(90* to the spindle). In the second operation, the holes that where drilled with the "Oversize" drill gets chewed in roughing anyway. Hope i explained that right.

Alloy

Note that Kev wants the retract between pecks to be above the part but start way below it.
Yes, a Macro can do it but that's not needed on the Haas.

Alloy

Note that Kev wants the retract between pecks to be above the part but start way below it.
Yes, a Macro can do it but that's not needed on the Haas.

Yeah i hear ya, i understand what he wants to do. I just was giving to idea to what i am doing, to show i haven't had an issue with chips in the hole when rapiding into the hole(There was a question of chips left in the hole, and whether that could be an issue). Your post about them most likely not being an issue, was typed at the same time mine was i think.

Hope i didn't confuse anyone, just wanted to show it's possible with a Macro(Or not in this case).

Last edited:
Thanks guys for help .

Seymour has the hotdog here though Setting 52 set to 34mm works a treat also found setting 22 (can cycle delta z) is the ammount of feed before cutting on each peck default was at 0.5mm.

Back