What's new
What's new

Haas VF3 Super spindle problem

Rickomatic

Plastic
Our 2006 Haas VF3 Super (12,000 rpm direct drive) has started making noise in the spindle/head area. We pulled the cover off and the noise seems to be more near the motor than near the spindle cartridge. Has anybody else come across this problem? (and better yet, know the fix?) A service manual would be great or at least a diagram of the head assembly... Would anybody out there have this info? We like to know what's going on before we call in the service techs... THANKS for any help or thoughts! Rick

I am not sure you will get to the bottom of it without decoupling the motor from the spindle. I am not familiar with too many motor issues but have heard of spindles going bad prematurely. Not real sure why either. First thing I would do is take a peek at the air/oiler and make sure it is oiling. You can just pull the line up in the head and put your finger over it. You will see oil if it is working.

With the motor decoupled, you can run it up and determine if the noise is coming from the motor or spindle. The disassembly should be relatively self explanitory.

Thanks for the reply. It's another "5 lbs of worms in a 1 lb can" problem. Service company is coming in Monday. I'm sure we will all be paying attention to what's in there! LOL! Thanks again! Rick

Its just a motor coupled to a spindle!! Regardless of what Haas tells you, things are not that special in there. Balance is key. I think it is amazing how fast a standard AC will overspin without problem. most motor companies shait all over themselves when you tell them you are spinning a 4 pole 1800rpm sync motor at 12,000rpm but that is pretty much what happens.

Problem was the motor

Well the spindle pops right out! But the problem is the motor.... Rebuilt one is coming fro Ca this week... That's all I got! Rick

If that motor runs, your problem is a whopping 50 bucks in bearings!!! Personally, I would fix it and save that 1500 bucks for a new TV....

I still cannot believe Haas runs a 1750rpm motor at 12000rpm and on every direct drive 12000rpm spindle they sell. One company here has gone through 3 motors @ $6K ea installed.

I still cannot believe Haas runs a 1750rpm motor at 12000rpm and on every direct drive 12000rpm spindle they sell. One company here has gone through 3 motors @ $6K ea installed.

I'm speechless here... I hate to say that I am not really surprised though. This is how haas does things...(half a$$)...

IAMATT, and Rick, how many hours are/were on those spindles?

The 1750 rpm simply means that it is a 4-pole motor. Most of the inverter-duty 1750 (or 1800) rpm motors have a much higher maximum rpm.

i cant wait to get my new vf2ss with 12k direct drive on monday and finally find out for myself how long they last. im willing to bet most failures are from extreme use and unbalanced tools.

Back