What's new
What's new

Maintenance for dusty work environments?

helocat

Aluminum
Until we get a larger building our TM1 is 10' from our welding area. We use handheld grinders that put allot of aluminum oxide into the air. Not 24/7 but enough to put a good layer of dust on things if not keep clean. Even with running two shop air filters we still have dust that accumulates.

I keep the mill wiped down and clean on the table and open sides. (don't want the grinding dust in the coolant) But what about the rest of the mill? Open the electronics cabinet up and vacuum out now and then? what about the fan on top of the spindle? Regan resistor?

Dust getting into our office has nuked a few computers. Now I know the mill is for industrial use but still it cant like the metal dust we have floating around half the week.

Thoughts?

Mark

There are filters on the top and the rear of the machine. Check them regularly. If the control cabinet is kept closed, nothing will get in as the cooling is sealed and uses a radiator type method so that the air does not enter it.

Mike

Dust control

IMHO, You need to control the dust very strictly at the source, invest the money now for everyone's sake READ AS: liability down the road - an ounce of prevention... seriously, this is not a trifle matter. Ask yourself, do you often have fever like symptoms, headache, muscle aches and pain that dissipate if your away from the shop for a few days. Been there, got the metal pneumonia for some three weeks, dust collection system, hepa vac, face masks [good ones, not the paper disposables] and good housekeeping!

"All I'm gonna say about that."
F. Gump

Back