What's new
What's new

Anyone use the "index on the fly" feature?

Dave K

Diamond
Wondering if anyone knows how to use the "index on the fly" feature for their lathe?

I think it's a G200 code, but not sure. I can find that out easy enough, but what I really need to know is, where in the program would you put it? Can anyone show me the proper format?

best i remember g200-210 are user created g codes. G200 on the Sl Ran was

G200 CALLED THIS GROUP

G28 X0 M5
G28 Z0
M1

No Dave, my machine does not have it yet ('01 vintage", but if you do find out, please let me know.
The Minilathe has the code, but it has no turret .....

Gcoder

G200 is "Index on the Fly" on a Haas. I'm guessing it is so the turret can index while traveling, but I'm waiting for Dave to clarify it.

No Dave, my machine does not have it yet ('01 vintage", but if you do find out, please let me know.
The Minilathe has the code, but it has no turret .....

Gcoder

G200 is "Index on the Fly" on a Haas. I'm guessing it is so the turret can index while traveling, but I'm waiting for Dave to clarify it.

Yeah, I'm waiting for me to clarify it too.:D I believe that's what it's for, to index while in motion. But, I'm not sure how and when in the program you would state it.

Using G200 takes of about 0,2-0,4 seconds/tool change.
It makes the turret pop in and out while rapiding to the "rotate" position.
I use it like this:
First I write the program as normal: (metric)

T101
G54 G0 X40 Z0 (start of cut)
. (rest of program)

After a few test runs I change to this:

T101 G200 G54 X40 Z0
. (rest of program)

There is enough things to keep track of when running a new program that I keep the G200 out of it.

The above example makes it advance to X40 Z0 while the turres seats.

To retract while popping out:

T101 G200 G54 X40 Z0
. (actual cutting)
G1 X42 (make sure there's at least 6mm of air in Z- direction)

T202 G200 G54 W30 X40 Z0 (this will make the turret pop out while moving 30 in Z+, rotate, when advance to X40 Z0 while seating)

Care has to be taken that there's always room for the turret moving in and out, both at the pop out and seat position.

I only use this for larger runs (100+ if chuckwork, 400+ if barfeed)
It takes some time to program, but saving 2-3 seconds/part on 5000 parts (or more) makes a difference
(also, it makes the machine seem a lot faster, not sitting around dwelling)

Back