What's new
What's new

Placing Regen Units Outside

david n

Diamond
Anyone place the regen units on their machines outside to keep the heat out of the shop? There is just two wires running to them. I figured I could relocate them outside for the summer and bring them back inside in the fall. The unit on the lathe is always pumpin out BTU's and makes the AC run harder.

No worries as long as you don't run ridiculous wire runs and make sure the wire is fully rated for the power. I can see where a lathe could make quite a bit of heat.

Soo you want to help warm up the outside!

Too bad they didn't design the spindle drive to put the regen power back on the power line like the old DC units did.

Viper is implying that the wires should be larger than what Haas used, and I agree

With some careful tweeking of the programs, one could eliminate quite a bit of the constant up/down RPM change as the tool moves away from the part OD under CSS
Some CAM systems can generate real usless code, and on long running jobs, adds wear and tear + power consumption and increased cycle times.

Every minute cycle time reduction on a 2000 Pc. order is over 3/4 week of machine time saved.

Bill

If you place the regen units outside be sure to pay attention to the safety aspect as well as making the wire size much larger. The further you run the wires the higher temps the wires will see.

Back