What's new
What's new

tool stuck

art421

Aluminum
hi, I have a vf2 approx 6 years old . The other day I was running a job did a tool change and it made a funny noise. The tool would not come out after that. 2 different people told me the tool release piston had broken, after taking it apart I found that it was fine and that the draw bar had siezed. It seems to be really stuck, I made a plate out of aluminum that bolted on the top with a 1/2-13 above the draw bar and screwed it down, it bent the aluminum which was 1 inch and didn't release the draw bar. any suggestions?
thanks art

Try a thick steel plate or even a hydraulic press if you can fit it.

If you can get it to move just a little, it should be enough to remove the retaining ring that holds it in. If you get the retaining ring off then you can work on pulling out the drawbar.

tool out

I used a small steel bar and the tapped holes on the pulley. It moved down about a 1/4 of an inch, then I hit it with a brass hammer. It didn,t move. Then screwdriver and hammer, Then crowbar and hammer, crow bar bent. At this point I thought spindle was going to get ruined so I went to ball pien hammer, nothing. Then 2 pound sledge, then 3 pound sledge and bigger crowbar, still nothing. In desperation or rage took one last giant swing and the tool dropped 1/4 inch. Used 2 crowbars to horse it out the rest of the way. It seems the balls were stuck, I replaced the balls and it seems to work fine now.
Art

i tap the side of the tool while pushing the release button, place a bucket or pad below the tool. I was told it is from the heating and cooling. maybe something else.

Haas - Tool Stuck.....

Art 421,
When you get things back together, check and make sure the drawbar is providing enough movement to have "tool knock out".
During tool unclamp, the tool holder should be positively moved forward/down .015" to .025". The tool changer cannot pull the tool holder loose without the "knockout."
I know, I know it works ok most of the time but the drawbar should provide knockout.
Regards Walt...

Back