What's new
What's new

Making multiple tools match in z

parkson

Plastic
I have a vf3 and the ots probe system. Every job I run has multiple tools that are programmed to go to the same z depth. The problem is that the ots can only give me + - .0007 per tool

I always have to manually adjust them to .0002 which is very time consuming.
So I was wondering what everyone else does to get tools to match.

Should I be looking in an offline tool presetter instead

-PARK

Man you have to consider all sorts of variables like spindle growth, I don't know if your spindle is chilled or not. When ever I am running critical tooling I will run my tools one at a time and comp each tool to blend. if it isn't critical I will program each smaller tool that is picking out corners or rest finishing about .001 higher then the one before. It is a lot prettier to have a little extra material in a corner than a ring around a pocket or what ever you are cutting with the smaller tool.

Setting Tools

We use the Renishaw presetter on our VF-3 and it sets the tools perfect every time. On end mills / boring bars if we set them rotating they rarely need to be adjusted. In combination with the wireless probe for setting coordinate systems you can set the tools and coordinate system and smash go. I can't remember the last time I had to adjust an individual tool in the z axis. Usually just tweek the coordinate system.

I get better then +/-.0007 manually touching off tooling with a paper shim. I'm thinking something is wrong.

My tool pre-setter on the lathe is within a few tenths... It has to be closer or the Probe is off / coolant intrusion perhaps.

I used to have trouble with tools matching when using paper or a gage block. I bought a presetter have had zero issues. The presetter takes seconds to measure the length, dia, and runout. I have a couple lathes with the tool setting arms and they are as close as I was when I dialed it in, no more than a few tenths off. So I think you may be having a problem with your probe.

UPDATE

Well I spent 3 hours leveling the ots and finally had the test indicator reading .0001 from side to side and front to back.

The tools now match and blend perfectly.

No more adjusting each tool individually. The only thing is that the disc on the probe is dished in the center so for all tools smaller than .125 you have to set the tool on the left or right of the disc (not dead center)

Works great every time.

Thanks for the help

-Park

UPDATE

Well I spent 3 hours leveling the ots and finally had the test indicator reading .0001 from side to side and front to back.

The tools now match and blend perfectly.

No more adjusting each tool individually. The only thing is that the disc on the probe is dished in the center so for all tools smaller than .125 you have to set the tool on the left or right of the disc (not dead center)

Works great every time.

Thanks for the help

-Park

Sounds like it's time for a new styllus.

Those styllus' have a tendency to dish really bad. My guess is hard, sharp cutter thingy's that are pointed( like drills ) combined with the way that the tool setter rotates (on an arc) probably adds to the wear:skep:.

You will notice the good tool setters all push in the same direction as the tool is coming so I imagine they don't wear like the Haas one. (or the Haas one is just some softer material?)

Matt, I take mine off and diamond hone or stone it flat on occasion. Haven't had to buy a new one...yet...

I think the stylus is made from carbide. Do they offer anything else that is less prone to dishing?

We should do a little poll here...

How often do you replace that stylus?

I've fixed mine twice - and am considering a new one now. I called Selway and they said "Oh, yeah - that is a popular item":angry:

If they are this prone to dishing, the accuracy of them must diminish rapidly. I'm quite surprised as this is a renishaw product. I've never seen a tool setter wear this quick (or ever).

Well mine has been on the machine for 2 1/2 years now and is dished. It probably was dished for a long time. I never really had any kind of precision tool length measurements until recently when I figured I had to move all tools 1/8 and smaller over .125 to the left or right of center to get a precise measurement.

Does anyone have the square ceramic stylus?
If so can you check and see if it is dished in the middle

-Park

For what it's worth, I just took my stylus to a local mold / die shop that I do welding for today. They ground the stylus flat with a diamond wheel in under 10 minutes. I don't know what the replacement stylii cost, but grinding seems to be a mighty cheap way to freshen them up. Thanks for that idea TC!

Also, the TS27R manual says the stylus is Tungsten Carbide at 75Rc. Due to the dishing and surprisingly large divets on the side of the stylus from setting diameters, I am extremely suspect of that hardness number.

Matt, glad you got it fixed - replacement is $100 from Selway.

I can grind/lap/stone it by hand in about 15-30 minutes depending on how bad it is. A real grinder would be nice. First time I did it it was .0045 out:eek:. Second time it was .003.:rolleyes5: I have your same suspicion on the hardness...

So, I will be watching it perhaps monthly now to see at what point it starts to go bad - which is why I proposed the poll question. Especially since I keep seeing prints with three place tolerance at .001" now:skep::toetap:

If I can't trust this thing to repeat or stay reliable within tenths I will start to lose my cool.

Anybody else replace/fix these things with any regularity?

Back