What's new
What's new

Advise for moving VF0 through doorway

Gordon Long

Hot Rolled
Advice for moving VF0 through doorway

We're moving a Haas VF0 to our shop from another room in our building. The room it's coming out of has a doorway that's about 85" high and 5' 10" wide. The height looks like it will work with the head lowered and the cables and hoses moved but to get through the doorway width, I think we'll have to take off the electrical box, air regulator and lube pump from the back. I was thinking we'd make a cart to hold onto the box and just leave it hooked up and have it follow the machine through the doorway. Does anyone here have any experience taking one of these apart and moving?
Thanks,
Gordon

Last edited:
There's a mess of stuff coming out of that cabinet and most of it can't be stretched. I would enlarge the doorway.

Doug

You can take the control off and it will take off about a foot off the depth, but I still had to wiggle it thru double doors
Art

As a matter of interest, how the hell did it get into that room in the first place?
Did they build it around the mill?

Regards,

Mike.

The best advice is to bring your local Haas service tech., to the site to advise you of the correct, if any way, to do what you need done. When I, brought mine in through an overhead door, the nitrogen cylinder, that is used as a counter-balance, needed to be bled off, and recharged later, to get the needed head room. I, had made a pair of skates, from 1/2"x6" crs which I, bolted to the machine, into 1/2"-13 holes in the plates. One man, can then push the machine accross the floor on 3/4" dia. crs rollers.
If, you "take off/screw up" the wrong part, you will pay the tech., a lot more to put Humpty-Dumpty, together again.
Regards,
Bob

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input. We ended up taking off the sheet metal enclosure and the flexible wire guard from the top and got it through. We had 1/4' clearance on the top going through the doorway. Pictures to follow when I can spend the time to upload. Gotta go get dinner now.

I know you already have it in postition, but taking the electrical control cabinet off really isn't that bad. It looks intimidating with all the wires, but if you take your time and make sure all cables are clearly labeled with the location and plug number it will come off and back on without issue.

I can do it in a couple hours total; off and back on because I am familiar with things, but I would anticipate half a day for the novice just to make sure everything is labeled correctly and your are comfortable with things.

Back