What's new
What's new

Any one here upgrade Z axis for more thrust?

IronReb

Stainless
We have a 1999 model SL30,drilling/spading holes over 1.250 have always been an issue,even worse in tough alloys like SS.The machine just will not push a drill over something like 1 1/4 at a good feed rate.We use "throw away" spades a lot and on a manual they will produce nice curled chips with heavy enough feed.What I do currently is take raw stock to a manual,skin face and OD for a clean chuck in the CNC and shove what ever size spade I wish thru the part,it's much faster than letting the Haas rub on it at .002 per rev waisting time and tooling from improper feed rate on drilling.

Any thing under 1'' isn't a problem,I can feed at .007+ without alarming out Z.

Problem with our Haas is it doesn't have the thrust in Z axis to shove a drill of any size harder than like .003 per rev without maxing out Z axis and shutting down.Called Haas about it and they admitted that model was weak in drilling.

What I'm curious about is have any here payed Haas to upgrade the Z axis?How much was it to have it done and did it make enough difference to warrant the $?

There is something wrong with the machine. It really shouldn't have an issue with spade drills in that range.

I thought so as well and called Haas,I had noticed the Zaxis load meter would start blinking at around 48% and shut down over 50%,I called Haas and asked if there was a parameter I could change to let it run up to at least 80% and they told me NOOOOOO,I could damage my servo or ball screw.Thats when I was told the model I have sucks balls in torque.

My name is Ken Foulks, I am with the Haas Factory. I am looking into the possibility of upgrading your Z axis motor, do you know what the current thrust is? I would also like to re-review your cutting parameters as well. Please tell me everything: Material, tool manufacturer, material dimensions... Please send (or PM) your serial number, parameters, and settings as well.

Up grade z

We had this problem at the last place I worked and we did buy a Z axis upgrade for our SL30 sorry I cant rember any details just know you can be done

My name is Ken Foulks, I am with the Haas Factory. I am looking into the possibility of upgrading your Z axis motor, do you know what the current thrust is? I would also like to re-review your cutting parameters as well. Please tell me everything: Material, tool manufacturer, material dimensions... Please send (or PM) your serial number, parameters, and settings as well.

I haven't a clue to what thrust I have now,best I can do is give you serial number from machine which I will get tomorrow.

I do know that when running a job if I go to Current Command screen then scroll up one page it shows all the axis loads.On that page the Z axis load meter will start to flash if load gets up around 48ish or so,the control will start beeping if it gets any higher and shut down machine with a Z axis over load alarm over 50%.As I said before,I called Haas about changing servo limits so I could go to at least 75% load but they said I would damage ball screws or servo motor.Really??

As far as materials and type of tooling,I use Iscar "throw away" spade bits and regular twist drill.
Just did a job the other day were I had to spade a 1.250 hole in 316 SS,was using a brand new 1.250 spade with this program
G00 Z1. X.
Z.05
G97 S350
M08
G83 Q.150 R.05 Z-5.375 F.002

Used over rides to adjust RPM and feed once I was in cut,the best feed rate i could get was .0025-.003 which is hardly efficient for the spade which in a drill press will cut SS at .009 or better all day.

Best guess,about 3/4 or smaller in SS can be pushed at a decent feed rate,Spade or twist drill sharpened at 135 deg point.
The softer the material the bigger the drill I can push naturally.

Z load

When you say that the load metter starts flashing at 48ish and then starts beeping then shuts the machine down that makes me wander it you have a tool load montering set up for that tool number if so you could just set it higher or turn it.

When you say that the load meter starts flashing at 48ish and then starts beeping then shuts the machine down that makes me wander it you have a tool load monitoring set up for that tool number if so you could just set it higher or turn it.

I do not think so,I have been the only operator/programmer on the machine for the last 9 years,not saying it isn't impossible,but I have never set that up,plus it does the same thing on tool pocket 7,9 and 11 which are the ones I always use for drilling/ID tooling.

Ken,here is some info on the machine,hope it helps.If you need serial I will send PM

Year model 1999

PGain 48
DGain 4000
IGain 64
Ratio 156718
Max Travel/steps 4716412
Max speed 1638400
Max error 16384
Back EMF 550
Backlash 30
inposition limit 16000
max current 4095