What's new
What's new

This Old Haas - alarm 149

BGL

Hot Rolled
Hello, got the old girl all ready to dance but coolant tank and pump running. After doing a spindle warm up I tried a tool change with the MDI, I get a 149 Spindle turning alarm, cycled tool in/out manually, works fine. Rebooted and power up/restart; no better, did hear the solenoids tripping, got spindle orient alarm this time, air pressure fine... sigh, tired and frust-ta-raded. :bawling:

I know the shot pin is involved in the spindle orient, anything to look at before I yank the covers?

Thanks

Its the motor control knucklehead!

Well, new day, clear(er) mind. Open main panel, power on, reset/home, mdi an M03 S2000... 149 alarm. Walk back to look at motor control, nuttin, nada, ziltch. Power off, remove cover, go through trouble chart and check fuses - all good, its dead. Googling for replacement or repair. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed.:wall:

What year, yea that would be helpful I sort of forgot that. It's a 1997 VF-0, has the "Magtech" [spelling?] motor controller. No orientate or rotation at all, no lights on on the "Magtech" control pad, incoming power fine, internal fuses ok, manual trouble shooting chart says to have power board serviced/replaced.

Thanks

I had the vector drive go out on my VF2, it wouldn't orient properly. I am not saying that is your problem for sure but if you are not seeing anything on your led display that could be the problem. Google the make of vector drive with what you are or are not seeing on the display and see what you find. Also note if it is your vector drive I got a new one off of eBay, it was a risk but it paid off $400 eBay $2000 from haas.

Last edited:
What year, yea that would be helpful I sort of forgot that. It's a 1997 VF-0, has the "Magtech" [spelling?] motor controller. No orientate or rotation at all, no lights on on the "Magtech" control pad, incoming power fine, internal fuses ok, manual trouble shooting chart says to have power board serviced/replaced.

Thanks

I could easily trouble shoot this one over the net. Obviously if the drive has no lights when machine is fired up, you need to check for 3ph power to the drive. Start there. There is also in internal fuse but my guess is if it is popped, it popped for a reason.

If you need a replacement, I might be willing to part with one of mine, with parameters already set up. Not easily to part with though since the mags were actually build "extremely" well compared to newer drives and have about a 250% over build on every component. I was going to keep them around for any extra builds later.

Thanks, incoming power is fine. We removed both fuses and they check out fine. Is there a service manuel avaiable?

PM sent...

If the drive does not have any display then this is most likely the problem.

There are several companies that will repair your existing drive. I have not used any personally, but others may chime in with a recommendation. Since you have already checked the obvious stuff, this may be a good option.

Good Luck!

Thanks,
We have sent it off to: Precision Electronic Services, Inc. in Danville, VA. Hopefully it is minor, I have been told that these are very well built controls.
We'll see...

Back