What's new
What's new

Haas HL-2 X Axis Drift

Loner Industries

Cast Iron
My HL-2 is drifting in X, its about .001 on diameter for every 10 parts or so. Even if I home the machine it returns to the "Drifted" diameter. I am not sure if this started when I was having a axis board issue or what. How would I go about troubleshooting this? Or should a Get a tech out?

I cannot remember off the top of my head if the older HL's have a parameter for x thermal compensation.

Look through the parameter list to see if you have that parameter and turn it off (set to 0) if you do. It may be abbreviated if you have it.

There are many factors to review here before you change any parameters in the lathe control for thermal deviation.

The first factor is the age of the machine. In early HL machines, the ballscrew was thermally controlled by the actual coolant. A plastic tube was routed into the x-axis ballscrew from the bottom. If the machine has this, you will see it by looking on the underside of the x-axis way cover. There is no need to remove the cover. Just look under it.

If you see the hose, the next thing to check is the flow of coolant. Turn off the coolant valve going to the turret and carefully turn the coolant on at the control. If you see coolant pouring out of the ballscrew area, then it is working fine. If not, remove the back cover of the machine and look for the t-fitting in the coolant line. It is mounted to the back of the wedge assembly. Take the fittings apart as there is likely a clog.

If you do not have the hose going to the ballscrew, you have the thermal sensor for the x-axis ballscrew. Along with the thermal sensor, you have “model” compensation for the spindle. This form of compensation monitors the movement of the machine. It then has an internal model of the machine movement due to the heat that is generated. It compensates accordingly. We need to learn more about this.

I can help you further. I will first need to know the serial number of the machine. I also need to know the direction of the deviation as you are machining. Is the OD of your parts getting bigger or smaller as you use your machine through the day? What are your cycle times? What is the spindle RPM used? Does it move in the opposite direction as the machine is not used? Do you have a large offset that you have to remove after your first part in the morning because you were compensating with offsets the previous day?

the machine is a 1996 #60269, I haven't had a chance to power it up and do some testing but this was do the other day.

2000 rpm, cycle time was about 90 sec, and the diameter was progressively getting smaller. It was about .001 on diameter for every 5 to 10 parts or so.

I think I should have some time tomorrow to see how muck it is drifting and if it will return to its original position after a cold boot.

thanks for the help so far

That age of the machine does not have the thermal sensor. I am sure you will find the hose going into the ballscrew and you will find it clogged in the t-fitting behind the wedge casting. Your x-axis should stablilize once the coolant flow starts up again.

Wow Jason_S, KenFoulks you were really close, I wish you were spot on. The line has failed in between the t-fitting and the ball nut or where ever that line goes. I just got done pulling off some covers and the line fell into about three pieces. For the life of me though I cant see where it connects, it is the ball nut or? I don't see any fittings or any dangling line or any signs of where it goes.

You are correct, the line just goes straight up the center of the screw. Push it all of the way up until it hits the stop and then back it down around 1/2" to 1". Please let us know how the x-axis improves once the coolant line is fixed.

Back