What's new
What's new

G-code on pendant or Mastercam?

Oldnewguy

Aluminum
Just inherited an OM2A "Office Mill" in new job, and was wondering what is faster for small job(3-5 ops w/~3 tools): programming on the pendant (need to learn G-code programming, only know prototrak) or Mastercam shipped in from offline (have taken the basic class and am fairly proficient with it)
The plan is to eventually get to the point where we are using the CMM with 3R pallet system to register cast parts (with variations of .002-.004") and transfer to mill on same pallet to machine. Assuming I would just edit program on pendant or 0/0 location depending on parts (~.100 - 3.0")
Any tips or tricks with any of these tools would be greatly appreciated.:scratchchin:

I would definitively recommend using Mastercam more. Instead of hand-editing, edit in Mastercam and re-post. You will become more proficient in Mastercam.

Learn more about Mastercam, but learn to write G-Code also. I keep basic programs on my mill and therefore I can just modify locations and such and run. For example, I have one or two for drilling and tapping. I can modify a three or four tool program faster than I can go and send and set up a Cam program. Change X and Y and the depth and you can be done.

It is always good to learn G-Code and not really that hard at all.

Good Luck----Mike

You can write G-code on a computer using Notepad and transfer the program with a jump drive or cord. The manual will tell you the details on how to transfer. This will be faster than hunting & pecking on the machine pendant.

Definetly learn G-code especially for simple work. I like the Peter Smid books. Just remember to slow the rapids down and single block a new program or edit.
Typos will ruin your day:(

I typically keep programs as templates to avoid typing all the routine stuff. If it is a one time job, I just edit the program for that part. If I want to keep the program to run again, I will copy the "template" program and edit the new program. I save them with my initials and a desciption:

jrbdrl.(I forget the Haas file ext.)
jrbdrlntap.
jrbprofile.
jrbface.
jrbengrave.

Good luck

I would definitely learn to use your cam software. It doesn't make any difference what software you use, it's so easy to create your G-code program that way, then if you need to make a change you can sit back down and make your change, repost and reload your program.

You could write your g-code with a pencil, but WHY.

Thanks!

Thank you all for the very good input. All good suggestions. Smid book is on the way as well as the DeAnza college Haas programming book. Like the idea of keeping shell programs and copy/modding them for simple ops. Will continue to train with Mastercam and use it as well as get more familiar with G code on pendant.
Wish I still had my Prototrak FHM5 for all this R&D and second op stuff though...

Back