What's new
What's new

Coolant Spigot Problem

dylskee

Cast Iron
Hey guys, I started with a new company a few weeks ago and one of the machines I'm working on has an annoying habit and I'm wondering if it's normal for the machine or can it be resolved. It's a Haas VF-OE probably at least 10 -12 years old, it has programmable coolant and every tool change the coolant nozzle zeros out and then moves to the programmed spot, even when I manually push the "Coolant Up/Coolant Down" button it moves to Home then down to the height. It's driving me nuts! Has anyone else experienced this, was this normal operation 10+ years ago or can this be fixed with a setting of some sort?

The problem that you are seeing is caused by the p-cool loosing its position. There is a roller micro-switch (Part number 61-2505) inside the assembly that is triggered by a 14 tooth lobe. If for any reason the switch looses its signal, the p-cool will need to find its home position the next time it is commanded. This can be caused by a faulty switch, loose connection, loose assembly or weak motor.

The problem that you are seeing is caused by the p-cool loosing its position. There is a roller micro-switch (Part number 61-2505) inside the assembly that is triggered by a 14 tooth lobe. If for any reason the switch looses its signal, the p-cool will need to find its home position the next time it is commanded. This can be caused by a faulty switch, loose connection, loose assembly or weak motor.

Hey thanks for the response Jason! At least I know it's not normal and I can get it fixed. It's been driving me crazy, with 15 tools that thing adds a lot to the cycle time! I'll look into it on Monday and see if I can get it resolved. Thanks again and have a good weekend! :cheers:

There seems to be a lot of issues with the Pcool unit. Mine doesn't go home every time like yours does, but occasionally it'll hang up for a few seconds (but not effecting cycle time), then without fail, it'll be two positions too low. Only re-homing the machine fixes it...usually.

For older style P-Cool

I saved this part number a while back for the internal switch for the P-Cool but have never ordered one; Philmore p/n: 30-2501. (No promises)

Otherwise if it is the actual motor/gearbox for the p-cool use: Grainger: #2L004. About $60; this one I have ordered and is identical.

Good luck.

Back