What's new
What's new

Spindle Drive went dark

ARB

Titanium
1994 VF3 with Magnetek GPD 503 drive.

I was cutting along just fine and heard the spindle lose power. Luckily I was taking a light cut and standing right there or it would have been ugly.:eek:

The spindle Drive appears to have shit the bed.:bawling:
It appears that I have power to the drive.
The one obvious fuse on the drive checks out OK.
The "Charge" light is lit.

There are NO other visible LEDs on the drive. It is absolutely dark.

Any thoughts or ideas on what I can do today to get back running?

Thanks
Adam

I had mine go out about a year ago, same drive, you can send them in for repair or find one like I did new from Ebay for $600. Note Selway quoted me $2000. Also note if you put a different drive in you have to reload the parameters and since your display is dead I am guessing you will need to get them someone instead of writing them down from you existing unit.

I have found an outfit called Precision Zone Inc that is reported to have pre-configured drives to replace this one. I will be calling them first thing Tuesday.

Sending it off for repair is your best bet at this point. Depending on the issue, most times they can repair your drive and send it back with the parameters still intact.

Just run it through its paces carefully when you put it back in.

Good luck!

I ordered a pre programmed exchange unit from Precision Zone. They shipped it today. They also do repairs but I can't afford the extra few days.

Thanks guys.

I think he did an exchange program. But that reminds me that I should send my old drive in.

I apologize for being a little off topic but does anyone know where to send in XYZ drive board for repair? I have one off my VF2 and two out of my HL2 that would be great backups if I got them fixed.

I think he did an exchange program.

Yup. I did the exchange. I will have the replacement drive installed tomorrow evening and hopefully be back cutting metal.

Then I will send my old drive back for the core.
If this works out then I will probably send them the dead drive out of our Tree Journeyman for repair. Then we can have that to work or sell.

Kudos to Precision Zone!!
The refurb drive was shipped right out the same day. I received it today and installed it. (After taking about a hundred pictures of the wires).

The machine fired right up and went right back to cutting chippies.

I'm very happy to have found this solution.

So if you need a Magnetek drive for your early Haas these are your guys.

:cheers:

Back