What's new
What's new

Minimum hight of a TM-1P - help!

KS_WGB

Plastic
OK, I am very close to deciding on getting a TM-1P mill. The problem I have is that my garage door opening is only 82.5 inches tall MAX! Can I have the TM-1P fit through the opening and not have to take off the spindle or any other larger assembly. I talked to the Haas sales guy about this last week but still no answer. Do you guys have any experience fitting this machine in tight places? Also, how much would this cost to do! Any other ideas? I was thinking maybe the rigger could tip the milll and have it fit that way? Problem is that might be dangerous. Thanks!

WGB

TM-1P...just measured my door. It is 83 3/4". I brought mine in on a fork lift and scraped the header on the door. Haas has a manual that tells the height and how to reduce it. I found my copy and tried to attach it. I hope it works.

nope..to big. It is Haas ES0324 Rev. E Dated 12/06.

it is only one page but has the info you need. I can't find it on the Haas web site. Take a look and see if you can find it. If not, send me a pm with your e-mail and I will send it to you.

At worst crawl up there and pull the z axis motor. It's very easy to do.

Or have the riggers tilt it to clear the door.

how much do the z axis motors weight and will I need to align it after I take it off?

Also, since I am thinking of buying one used, should I have the mill shipped with the original spindle shipping block or should I do something else to have the height lowered i.e. use a couple blocks of wood.

Z motor is around 10-15 lbs maybe less for the TM

The spindle motor is the big one

Manually turn the z ball screw and get the head as low as you can

With the head all the way down, there is a thing on the right side of the spindle that looks like a burner from a stove. That will most likely need to be removed. Then it will go through a 84 inch door. If you have a roll up door, no problem. Just unhook it and push it all the way up. If you have the old fashioned tilt up door, you might have to take the door off.

Copied from Haas Document that I referenced in my above post

This document demonstrates the recommended methods of reducing the overall height of the Tool Room Mill.
DO NOT disassemble any more than what is shown below. Doing so may void your warranty and cause machine
damage

1. Remove the cable-carrier clamp and flex the cable-carrier over to reduce height 9" (228mm) This decreases
machine heights for TM-1 to 83.5" (2120mm), TM-2 to 84" (2133mm), and TM-3 to 80.5" (2044mm).
The cable-carrier can be shifted to one side or the other

2. Remove junction box, cable-carrier and regen box - decreases height an additional 6" (152mm) beyond
Step 1. (TM-1 to 77.5" (1968mm), TM-2 to 78" (1981mm), and TM-3 to 74.5" (1892mm)).
Both the junction box and the regen box have four bolts that secure them to the control box. The bolts that
secure the regen box are accessible from the outside-top of the control cabinet. Tilt the regen box up and
remove the wires from the screw terminals of the regen resistors. The regen box can now be completely
removed. Junction box bolts are accessible from the inside of the control cabinet. Allow the junction-box and
cable-carrier to hang behind the cabinet. Be careful of the wires and hoses that run through the cable-carrier, do
not pinch or crush.

3. TM-1/2 only: Remove feet - Reduces height 7” (178mm).
Raise the machine up using a fork lift or pallet jack. The lift must be able to pick up 4000 lbs (1814.3kg) for the
TM-1/2. Each foot has two bolts, remove these. It is not necessary to the remove the leveling screws.

I talked to the local Haas dealer today. It should cost me a bit less then 1K to have the Haas technician reduce the height to fit the mill through the garage door. I usually am a DIY type of a guy but I do not want to screw up or void the warranty on a new machine. BTW, next week I am ordering myself a new TM-1P with rigid tapping and the improved flood cooling! Cannot wait to get it. I looked at older machines but none were enclosed except one. I looked at it yesterday (I flew out to Florida to see it) and I was not impressed. It crashed several times. The ball screws had what appeared to be rust. The Z axis appeared to have some play and the machine would not accept a USB stick. It would freeze up when you tried to read from it. It was a 2007 w/a 4th axis rotary. He wanted $34K

1k? WHA....

tell them to come do it for free when the machine riggers arrive.

Do the setup at the same time it's part of the cost of the machine that they set it up for you.

When I got my VF-2 the tech met us when the riggers got there and took care of everything without the 1k bill.

I talked to the local Haas dealer today. It should cost me a bit less then 1K to have the Haas technician reduce the height to fit the mill through the garage door. I usually am a DIY type of a guy but I do not want to screw up or void the warranty on a new machine. BTW, next week I am ordering myself a new TM-1P with rigid tapping and the improved flood cooling! Cannot wait to get it. I looked at older machines but none were enclosed except one. I looked at it yesterday (I flew out to Florida to see it) and I was not impressed. It crashed several times. The ball screws had what appeared to be rust. The Z axis appeared to have some play and the machine would not accept a USB stick. It would freeze up when you tried to read from it. It was a 2007 w/a 4th axis rotary. He wanted $34K

If you can afford it go for a TM-2 with 20 tools.

1k? WHA....

tell them to come do it for free when the machine riggers arrive.

Do the setup at the same time it's part of the cost of the machine that they set it up for you.

When I got my VF-2 the tech met us when the riggers got there and took care of everything without the 1k bill.

Did the tech have to disassemble your VF-2 to get it in the building? If so, then you are definitely the exception and got off lucky.

Disassembly of the machine is not included in any kind of standard installation package by the dealer, but they have the option and may elect to not charge you for it.

To the original post; I would schedule a tech to be there during delivery and take care of anything that will need removed. Afterwards he can finish installing everything, give you a little instructions, and you will be on your way to cutting chips.

Since this is a TM machine, there will most likely be a minimal amount to remove to get it in place. If you have a good relationship with your installer, they might even absorb some of the time to remove things into the included install time.

Good luck and congrats on the new machine.

I am lucky, the Phoenix HFO has treated me like a king and I'm a stupid garage guy. I wish I could afford to buy more machines from them, maybe in a year or so...

The tech pulled the Z axis motor and sheet metal off of the head and re installed it after the machine was moved into the massive high tech facility (garage) :D.

I might try to negotiate with the HFO to see what they can do about the install and height reduction at one time and at a reduced cost. But at this moment I might not have much leverage. It was my understanding that the prices were non-negotiable. I guess they are flexible in some respect.

behindpropellers - the 20 tool changer on the TM-2P is a very intriguing idea. The cost is more for the machine and the tool changer but its one of those things that I cannot get later with an upgrade. Do most people need more than 10 tools, I would assume so. I might just do it.

Does anyone know if the tm-2p in any more rigid than the tm-1p.

I might try to negotiate with the HFO to see what they can do about the install and height reduction at one time and at a reduced cost. But at this moment I might not have much leverage. It was my understanding that the prices were non-negotiable. I guess they are flexible in some respect.

behindpropellers - the 20 tool changer on the TM-2P is a very intriguing idea. The cost is more for the machine and the tool changer but its one of those things that I cannot get later with an upgrade. Do most people need more than 10 tools, I would assume so. I might just do it.

Does anyone know if the tm-2p in any more rigid than the tm-1p.

I think you are looking @ around $4.5K for the TM2 vs the 1. You get another 10" in x and 4" in Y. When we bought our machine we almost bought a TM1 but decided to go with the TM2. I'm very glad we have the TM2 since I have the 20 plc. toolchanger full of tools and 3 vises set up on the table and I have cut some 36" long parts with it.

Tim

Well, I decided to buy a tm-2p with a 20 tool ATC, rigid tapping and the upgraded flood cooling. I am buying the tm-2p primarily because of the 20 tool ATC. Now if the local Haas dealer will just call me back... He is either very busy or just forgetful! I have been dealing with him for the last 3 weeks and I have to call him each time to get anything done. I think I might have to call Corporate and talk to the VP of Sales directly.

WGB

Well, I decided to buy a tm-2p with a 20 tool ATC, rigid tapping and the upgraded flood cooling. I am buying the tm-2p primarily because of the 20 tool ATC. Now if the local Haas dealer will just call me back... He is either very busy or just forgetful! I have been dealing with him for the last 3 weeks and I have to call him each time to get anything done. I think I might have to call Corporate and talk to the VP of Sales directly.

WGB

Send a e-mail to the sales department at Haas in Oxnard. I can almost guarantee you someone will be in touch with you within two days.

I had a service issue once on a Friday afternoon. I called my local HFO for help and didn't get a call back so Monday morning I e-mailed the service department at Haas on Monday morning. My service issoe was taken care of Monday afternoon. For FREE.

Back