What's new
What's new

A VF-2SS or a VF-3SS

1320feet

Aluminum
I would like a new machine. My old cinncy arrow 500 is just to slow.
I would like to hear from someone who has run both machines.
I would be happy with the travels of the VF2.
The vf2 is 8000lbs and the vf3 is 12500lbs.
Is the vf3 going to be a significantly better machine do to its wider stance and added weight?

I'm surprised nobody said anything on this yet.
Weight is rarely a bad thing, but I'd want to know if the bigger heavier machine has larger rails to back it up or if its the same smaller rails as the other models, it all goes toward making a more rigid machine.
From many of the not so good comments here on the SS optioned models, I'd be kinda worried about it and the finishes it might give you. So might want to consider the non-SS ones as well, or get a darn good contract signed about requirements and expectations and what won't be acceptable.

I would go with the VF3 if you can. If anything for the increase in table size. I have a VF2SS and got it because I had low ceilings in the shop. A couple months ago I moved to the unit next door and now have higher ceilings. I have a 4th axis and on the VF2ss I'm always having to get creative on larger parts or having to take the rotary on/off.

As for the weight, I don't think the extra would hurt. As far as I know the VF2 and VF3 have the same spindle, but I haven't had any problems regarding rigidity on the lighter machine. I have been running the new when bought VF2SS since May and couldn't be happier. I read through some of the comments on here regarding the SS models and was a bit worried. At the end I pulled the trigger on it. Consider spending 70K for a VF2SS or 85K for a Robodrill. The Robodrill is not even in the same class (I have one of those too).

We have not had any problems with rigidity or finishing. 90% of the work we do is in 4140PHT or H-13 steels. I am able to use the full capability of all the tools we use and havn't ever run the machine above 50-60% spindle load.

Skip the VF3SS and get the VM3!

We did and it has more options built in the price.

two of the reasons, extended Y travel to 26" and the X,Y T-Slotted table with 5\8 pin and 1\2-13 bolt holes on the square pads.

Only thing is HAAS has locked out you being able to override the door to allow you to open during a run......stupid people doing stupid things, getting hurt and then sueing because they did an override and didn't tighten the part down and it flew out and impailed them. but other wise love it!!!

Skip the VF3SS and get the VM3!

We did and it has more options built in the price.

two of the reasons, extended Y travel to 26" and the X,Y T-Slotted table with 5\8 pin and 1\2-13 bolt holes on the square pads.

Only thing is HAAS has locked out you being able to override the door to allow you to open during a run......stupid people doing stupid things, getting hurt and then sueing because they did an override and didn't tighten the part down and it flew out and impailed them. but other wise love it!!!

I'm not sure about the 26" on Y axis. I've read that guys are having finishing issues with the vfs that have the extended Y. I think the head is hanging out to far for good rigidity.

I'm not sure about the 26" on Y axis. I've read that guys are having finishing issues with the vfs that have the extended Y. I think the head is hanging out to far for good rigidity.

Good call 1320. I have the 3SS and it is a good, solid machine.

Get the 3 vs the 2. You won't be mad about having a little too much room:smoking:

There is another thread on the other site about the advantage of the VM3 vs an SS machine. Seems like the VM3 is probably a better value when you add up options...etc.

There is never any substitute for size. When I bought my VF-4 I was ready to just get a VF-3, as I needed only 40" for the parts I was doing.

But, I decided to go with the VF-4 instead. Within a few weeks after getting it, I got in jobs that were well over 40", but under 50" and the VF-4 proved to be the best choice.

If you can afford it and have the room for it, bigger is always better.

Mike

Back