What's new
What's new

95 VF3 software

PHDesigns

Hot Rolled
Recently aquired a 1995 VF3 with pallet changer. Good clean machine. But it has no quick code. In fact, it has nothing I'm used to. When in program mode and switch to edit, it does not give the program in the 'box', no selection of the F1 to bring up the edit options. Screen stays the same looking, except the highlighted area goes to one word, instead of the line. I can edit one thing at a time. There are some basic edit commands on the program list page. I can duplicate a program, delete a selected block, etc. I got quick code from another VF3 at another shop ans loaded. but it is just like a program. Is there a parameter or setting to change to get at least the editing features? Only other thing is the machine in some rapids gives a over voltage alarm. I have changed the rapid in the program where the issue is to a maximum feed rate. Machine runs excellent other wise.
Other thing I have discovered is the spindle drive has been replaced with a 'after market' type, don't remember the brand, but no 2 speed gear box. Not an issue yet, but I'm sure it will have some low speed issues with bigger drill bits.
Anyway, main ? is the editing and or software issue.
Thanks.

I really don't understand what you are saying about editing but I know quick code was an option and one that you might not have. If you can go to the edit screen and perform basic alterations like search and replace, delete, replace, etc, you might be fine. I don't think I have QC but I don't really care. CAM trumps that any day I guess.

Regarding, the over voltage, I suspect the other drive is the issue. The voltage spikes when in deceleration of the spindle or axis. You may need to check parameters in the drive to bleed off at a lower voltage or slightly raise the voltage in the Haas control. Before I went there though, I would at least try to verify the voltage.

We had a brand new SS that blew the piss out of some axis cards because the drive was not bleeding power back to the resistor like it was supposed to. Quick check with a meter verified that.

Thanks. I know that quick code is optional and this machine doesn't have that. At the moment I haven't gotten any cam software to use, so....I cannot do the normal edit functions like replace all, search....I can just highlight one thing at a time and edit that.
Will check into the voltage thing. Had to change the wires on th eterminal when I got the machine because I have 245 volts coming into the building.

Found the parameter to let me restart in the middle of the program. That was driving me nuts. Also don't have in the current commands page the ability to see the different options of machine position. Only gives machine, doesn't change with the up or down arrow to any of the other options like work, which I prefer. Only way to see that is on the position page which shows all four, then I can't see the program. I got the quick code program from another machine, but it is just like a program on the list, not in the 'system', like a computer needs rebooted or something.

What is the software version on your machine?

For the new machines you can press PAGE DOWN a few times until all 4 positions and the program appear on screen. You can also press POSIT repeatedly until the appropriate position is shown.

Found the parameter to let me restart in the middle of the program. That was driving me nuts. Also don't have in the current commands page the ability to see the different options of machine position. Only gives machine, doesn't change with the up or down arrow to any of the other options like work, which I prefer. Only way to see that is on the position page which shows all four, then I can't see the program. I got the quick code program from another machine, but it is just like a program on the list, not in the 'system', like a computer needs rebooted or something.

To see a differernt position readout on the current commands page:
Go to Posit page
page down until you get to the display you want. I like the Work display because it shows my position as programmed.
Then go to Current commands. Then you will see what you want there.

I think it would have been nice for Haas to have given us a choice on what was default on the current commands page. IMO machine coordinates on this page is all but useless information.

I'm running a 94 machine and many of the newer editing options like you are looking for are just available. Our 2001 machine has the nicer editor like you're looking for.

Back