What's new
What's new

Wiring a TL-2 at home question.

little.one.der

Cast Iron
I'm starting to wire my garage for my home shop and we're at the point to run wire for the lathe.

I just wanted to confirm some stuff.

Single phase. 240 Volt.

8 gage wire.

50 Amp breaker on the service panel.

Right?

Can I use a plug in to connect the lathe to the 4" box? Or must it be wired directly to the breaker?

And is there a name for the type of wire? It should be four wires bundles together right? Red/black/white/copper?

I'll have an electrician check it over before I close anything up. But the installation is a little on the confusing side.

THHN wire

I believe THHN #8 wire should do the job for a 50 amp branch circuit. 4 wire cable, with 2 hots, a Neutral, and a ground, should be fine. Your Canadian code may require #6 though, not sure.

You could use a 4 wire plug, but direct hookup should be fine, as long as the breaker is within clear sight of the machine within 50 feet I think it is. Been a long time since I had to know the code. Canadian code may be different though; better check with your local inspector to avoid hassles.

Best of luck! Joe

I've got a TL-1 hooked up to 40 amp 240V single phase. Works perfect. I forgot what size wire we used but you won't need a neutral. Just the two hots and the ground. The Haas pre install manual should have info on what size wire you need, and where the two hots go on the machines main breaker.

The best way would be to run conduit or sealtight to the machine, but I did run a TM-1 for a few months off a 60A single phase welder outlet with SOOW cord and a plug. It worked fine but it would have been a big problem if the plug came out while the machine was running.

Edster is correct on this I just looked at my Haas book for my st-10 and the tl-2 calls for #8 on a 50 amp breaker. My mistake.

Jason,

Edster is correct on this I just looked at my Haas book for my st-10 and the tl-2 calls for #8 on a 50 amp breaker. My mistake.

Jason,

When we put in our TM-1 our electrician insisted we put #6 in. However we put it in on 3ph. Short run too less than 20' to the service box. Cost was not that much more and its solid.

The best way would be to run conduit or sealtight to the machine, but I did run a TM-1 for a few months off a 60A single phase welder outlet with SOOW cord and a plug. It worked fine but it would have been a big problem if the plug came out while the machine was running.

I have our TM-1 on a massive 3ph military plug, but its a twist lock so its not coming out unless someone pulls it on purpose. This eliminated a service disconnect having to be installed. Not any $$ savings as each end of the plug was over $90. Its more of a convenience in case we need to move the mill. (It is a TM-1 after all so our 5500lbs floor jack moves it nicely) However we have never moved it since its been installed.

Mark

You must remember that all of the electrical specs are for extreme conditions. In other words, everything maxed out, XYZ all working their hardest and the spindle maxed out. Then you can hit 50 amps.

I set my VF-2 up temporarily at a friends place a couple of years ago. Ran it on #10 wire on a 20 amp breaker. Never tripped it once and never had any problems. You just never hit the max's.

The only way to get into trouble is to put too large a wire and too large a breaker, or too large a breaker on too small a wire.

Relax and make parts.

Hruph, getting a little stressed out.

Electrician seems to think that 10 gage will sufice.

And were comparing the operators addendum to the preinstallation manuals and theres conflicting specs.

The operators addendum mentions something about a 7.5 hp motor, under 100' from breaker will use 10 gage.

But I could have sworn its supposed to be 8.

What would happen if I ran 50 amp breaker with 10 gage wire?

You know, it's kind of pissing me off...

You need an electrician. Consult the NEC. There is a whole section just for machine tools. They have special rules, just like motors and welders.

If I recall correctly, you must run wire that can handle the name plate amperage load plus 25% of the amperage of the largest motor. This will give you the wire size. You need a breaker that can protect the wire.

If you are using THHN wire (you should be). In it's own conduit. And you really need 50 amps. You need #8 wire. If you want to use #10, you need to use a 30 amp breaker.

Hruph, getting a little stressed out.

Electrician seems to think that 10 gage will sufice.

And were comparing the operators addendum to the preinstallation manuals and theres conflicting specs.

The operators addendum mentions something about a 7.5 hp motor, under 100' from breaker will use 10 gage.

But I could have sworn its supposed to be 8.

What would happen if I ran 50 amp breaker with 10 gage wire?

You know, it's kind of pissing me off...

I ran my own conduit and wiring as well, using Haas's pre-installation guide, an electrician friend, and the local electrical supply warehouse. I kind of operated on when in doubt just go with larger conduit/wire, because I can always use a smaller breaker/fuse.

I have 3p power and I ran 8awg from the 50amp fused disconnect to the TL2.

Back