What's new
What's new

WIPS probe system, can it be used manually?

Armedsask

Aluminum
Looking at getting a new VF2 or VF3 with WIPS. Just curious if you can use the probe to manually touch off parts. On our current machines its all manual touch off with 3D probes. Being able to jog and touch off manually with the WIPS will help alleviate delays in the learning curve. Also, it just handy to manually probe stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Looking at getting a new VF2 or VF3 with WIPS. Just curious if you can use the probe to manually touch off parts. On our current machines its all manual touch off with 3D probes. Being able to jog and touch off manually with the WIPS will help alleviate delays in the learning curve. Also, it just handy to manually probe stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Yes. You just use the templates in VQC! Bore, boss, x,y,z......and more.

I like to put parts in the machine we're reversing engineering and use the touch probe in the same way as a CMM. Zero off a certain feature and then probe other features and record the XYZ coordinates.

Something doable with the WIPS VQC?

The new machines with probing use IPS instead of VQC and can do most simple probing routines. Point clouds are doable, but not using standard routines, you need to write code and transmit the data.

You can do it, its a bit cumbersome though. Probe the features with VCQ, choose an offset for example 54. The coordinates for the feature will show up on the coresponding line (G54) on the offsets page. Record the numbers, probe the next feature, record the numbers, and so on.
When finished subtract the first set of coordinates from the following coordinates and you will have the answer.
I have many times thought about making a program for this, sending the data out through the serial port and having a program listening doing wathever processing you like and save the data in a suitable format would be easy. It is however hard to find the time....

Dredged this up because it had the right title - I think.

We have had the system for years but it has never been used and I have no authority [yet] to implement it. Its a complex issue that I'll just sum it up in the phrase, It's hard to work with Luddites especially when they are in "authority". Can't get into that right now, just want to change the things I can or at least try.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIP

At this point I'm only interested in using the spindle probe to set my work coordinates, small steps. I have managed to replace the batteries, center the tip to less than 0.0002" and activate the probe. lights go green, beeps when touched.

Apparently the program has been removed? I know it was there the tech who originally set it up showed us the pages, that was years and beers ago. I follow the steps in the wip guide and as I say I can activate the probe but none of the pages are active, nothing, zilch and interestingly there is nothing in the hard drive other than the system. I recall a list of programs originally, nothing there now .

I see there are parameters that must be set, I did not have the time to check them and will do that next. Could it be the parameters just need to be set or the programs have been deleted? If so how can I restore them, are they in the restore disk?

So lets say worst case I cannot get the system "active" can I simply use it as a touch probe, silly I agree but I have a future need to position a curved surface for rework and just using it manually as a 3D touch probe is all I ask for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update! Never mind, parameter for probe is locked out. Over $4k, just sitting there... :wall:

Last edited:
Dredged this up because it had the right title - I think.

We have had the system for years but it has never been used and I have no authority [yet] to implement it. Its a complex issue that I'll just sum it up in the phrase, It's hard to work with Luddites especially when they are in "authority". Can't get into that right now, just want to change the things I can or at least try.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIP

At this point I'm only interested in using the spindle probe to set my work coordinates, small steps. I have managed to replace the batteries, center the tip to less than 0.0002" and activate the probe. lights go green, beeps when touched.

Apparently the program has been removed? I know it was there the tech who originally set it up showed us the pages, that was years and beers ago. I follow the steps in the wip guide and as I say I can activate the probe but none of the pages are active, nothing, zilch and interestingly there is nothing in the hard drive other than the system. I recall a list of programs originally, nothing there now .

I see there are parameters that must be set, I did not have the time to check them and will do that next. Could it be the parameters just need to be set or the programs have been deleted? If so how can I restore them, are they in the restore disk?

So lets say worst case I cannot get the system "active" can I simply use it as a touch probe, silly I agree but I have a future need to position a curved surface for rework and just using it manually as a 3D touch probe is all I ask for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update! Never mind, parameter for probe is locked out. Over $4k, just sitting there... :wall:

Don't give up just yet.
Is this the wireless version? WIPS Or does the tool setter have an attached cable?
Do you have the compelte system; the spindle probe, tool setter and optical receiver?
What age is the machine that has the system?
What software options are active? ie: macros, coordinate rot/scaling, M19, etc

Renishaw Wired tool setter, complete factory installed system, spindle probe with fresh batteries, cap still on the tool setter contact.
2006 Super Mini, page 12 of the manual shows the following:
Parameter 57, bit 17 “Enable Rot & Scaling” set to “1” - Yes
Parameter 57, bit 21 “M19 Spindle Orientation” set to “1” - Yes
Parameter 57, bit 22 “Enable Macro” set to “1” - Yes
Parameter 57, bit 23 “Invert Skip” set to “0” (Renishaw) - Yes
These next two are the issue:
Parameter 315, bit 31 “Intuitive Programming System” set to “1” (16.03 and earlier) - Is set to "0" attempted to change "parameter is locked"
Parameter 732 “IPS Probe” set to “2”all options - Is set to "0" attempted to change "parameter is locked"

Did not check the system version, and I just recalled that there is a parameter to lock the parameters... something like that.

I will not be back until Monday am, thank you for the encouragement!

Renishaw Wired tool setter, complete factory installed system, spindle probe with fresh batteries, cap still on the tool setter contact.
2006 Super Mini, page 12 of the manual shows the following:
Parameter 57, bit 17 “Enable Rot & Scaling” set to “1” - Yes
Parameter 57, bit 21 “M19 Spindle Orientation” set to “1” - Yes
Parameter 57, bit 22 “Enable Macro” set to “1” - Yes
Parameter 57, bit 23 “Invert Skip” set to “0” (Renishaw) - Yes
These next two are the issue:
Parameter 315, bit 31 “Intuitive Programming System” set to “1” (16.03 and earlier) - Is set to "0" attempted to change "parameter is locked"
Parameter 732 “IPS Probe” set to “2”all options - Is set to "0" attempted to change "parameter is locked"

Did not check the system version, and I just recalled that there is a parameter to lock the parameters... something like that.

I will not be back until Monday am, thank you for the encouragement!

I will assume that you tried to change the two IPS parameters while in E-Stop and with the parameter lock turned off. If so, then your machine is looking for an unlock code for the IPS software.

An alternative to paying for the IPS software is to use the older Visual Quick Code Probing System (VQCPS).
It works quite well for basic setup routines and you can still use the standard Renishaw probing cycles (included) for more advanced routines or to customize routines to work within programs.

I have a mix of slightly older machines, non IPS, and newer (2yr) machines all running the VQCPS. Nothing against using the IPS on the newer machines which have the feature, but I have kept them all on the VQCPS for uniformity and simplicity for the operators.

They are all used daily for set ups, and many programs include automatic work offset updating as well as multiple tool break detections within the programs.

You just need to show the ones in charge what they are missing.

"I will assume that you tried to change the two IPS parameters while in E-Stop and with the parameter lock turned off. If so, then your machine is looking for an unlock code for the IPS software."

No I did not, it came to mind after your earlier post - I will read up on the turning on/off the parameters and attempt to reset them. I know its all there, I saw it as the tech first demonstrated the control... perhaps a day trip to my HMO?

I have given up on convincing "ones in charge", this is all about me and a desire for continuous improvement. Or put another way, it looks good on a resume!

Thanks again, its greatly appreciated!

... perhaps a day trip to my HMO?

You can try your HMO but your HFO might give you better results. :D

I have given up on convincing "ones in charge", this is all about me and a desire for continuous improvement. Or put another way, it looks good on a resume!

Thanks again, its greatly appreciated!

Let me know how you make out. Continuous improvement is definitely a good thing. Once you get the WIPS or VQCPS systems figured out, get your hands on a renishaw programming manual for the spindle probe, it will open up additional doors and allow you to do more custom stuff within programs.

You can get the manual through the Renishaw website I believe or your HFO might be able to get you a copy also. It's to big of a file for me to send out. It's called Inspection Plus Software Programming Manual Renishaw part #: H-2000-6031-0A-A is the version that I have, but is several years old.

Good luck!!

While the spindle probe can certainly be used for manual inspection and setup, it is important to dial in the stylus accurately as calibration is not used when running it manually. TLO...same deal.

We are a Renishaw RDI and also the developers of several software tools for both creating probing tool path from your CAM and dealing with probing data collection to the PC. Very simple when you have the right tools.

As mentioned in other posts, ALL Haas equipped with WIPS have the Renishaw Inspection Plus software running in the background. No unlock codes are needed. This software is as robust and capable as anything you can buy from your CAM provider and you already have it! We don't post the PDF user guides on the forums, but you can call us at 406-883-5651 or email us at [email protected] and we'll get you setup with the correct version for the type of probe you have.

Back