What's new
What's new

Coolant Help

cd76

Plastic
We bought a new TM-P2. The Blaser guy came in and recommended Blasocut BC20SW. This is a mineral oil based coolant. The Haas paperwork says no mineral oil but the Blaser guy says that's not right and the Blaser coolant will work perfectly. So who's right and do you guys have any recommendations?

I noted that back in 06 and called the local HFO they told me they run a mineral oil based coolant on their demo machines....makes no sense except an excuse so they can void your warranty I suppose. I have no idea why that statement is in there and the HFO did not either.

I've been using a mineral oil based Hangsterfer product since 06 with no problems at all.

We bought a new TM-P2. The Blaser guy came in and recommended Blasocut BC20SW. This is a mineral oil based coolant. The Haas paperwork says no mineral oil but the Blaser guy says that's not right and the Blaser coolant will work perfectly. So who's right and do you guys have any recommendations?

What are you cutting, how often are you cutting?

Our TM has Trim C350 in it, excellent for aluminum, good for everything except cast iron. Mill sits for a few weeks at a time and has not began to stink.

The only negative thing about running the Blaser is the price. It is a little more than others but IMO smells less also...and that is worth it to me.

From the Operator’s Manual:

Machine coolant must be water-soluble, synthetic oil based or synthetic based coolant/lubricant. Using mineral cutting oils will damage rubber components throughout the machine and void the warranty.

Coolant must have rust inhibitors. Do not use pure water as a coolant; machine components will rust.

Do not use flammable liquids as coolant.

Acidic and high alkaline fluids will damage components throughout the machine.

Haas Automation does not recommend one brand of coolant over another, as long as the above recommendations are followed.

That being said, the manual was referring to mineral cutting oil. Pure oil, not a coolant that gets mixed with water.

Blasocut 2000 Universal is a mineral oil-based coolant (mixed with water) and has low concentrations of actual mineral oil. Approximately 50% of this product is mineral oil which translates to only 3% of the actual coolant when mixed with water at a 6% concentration. I assume it is possible to deteriorate the seals if it were mixed extremely rich. Blasocut 2000 Universal is OK to use in Haas machines.

Blaser Swisslube also makes a line of products called Blasomill. These products are straight mineral oil and should not be used in Haas machines.

We have 3 Haas Machines, and we use two different kinds of coolant. No special reason why we have two kinds, but mostly because we started with one kind and then our MSC Rep gave us another when we bought our Mori Lathe, so we changed out one of the Haas coolants to this new kind as well as for the new Mori NL. Ok the first one we started with and still use and like very much is made by MasterChem called Trim E206. The stuff never ever smells like you know what. I even loaded the surface grinder with this stuff and the grinder sits for months at a time and still no smell other than it's own usual smell just a bit amplified, and no bacteria. The other new one is made by same company but is called MicroSol 685 and is equally good. The only downside I noticed is that this stuff smells a bit strong when it's newly pured, kind of a strong cleaner smell, but later becomes more like a nutty vanilla kind of smell and never rusted the machine. The Trim E206 has a smaller room for error as far as rust goes, when mixed with improper ratios. So we just keep it on the rich side and have no problems. The haas machines I think have a rust preventative clear coat of some sorts on the interior sheet metal, like the rustoleum clear for bare metal, and once this gets scratched off then you will get rust, no matter what you use, especially on things like the turret on Haas lathes. I wish they used stainless sheet and figured the small differance in the price of the machine, I think it would be worth the xtra dough. The new stuff has a nice clear and thin oil coat when dries off on the surfaces of the machine. I know of a guy who switched from Blazer to this and has no regrets and is saving a bunch of $. :smoking:
Anyway, my 2c.
Albert F.

I have used trim e206 where I used to work. I think the stuff smells good compared to blaser I use at work now. I'm in the process of converting my work to trim e206. Doesn't stink after sitting, not as slimy on your hands, and cool looking blue too!

But seriously you won't regret the trim and cheaper too!

Will check out the Trim products. The Blaser rep called today and said Haas was in the process of qualifying the Blaser for their machines. Said he would let me know as soon as he hears something.

Here's a nickle's worth of free advise. IT QUALIFIES. I've been running Blaser in Haas' for about a decade. Absolutely Love it. Zero complaints about it. If you want, I can send you a picture of the inside of my 6 year old Haas that has only had blaser in it. zero rust, way covers look perfect, etc, etc, etc.

I've been told Blaser products are very hard to beat. When I move my shop I'm planning to convert from the stuff I use now over to Blaser.... I'll have to clean the machine anyway!

A final update here. Got an email from Haas engineering that says the Blaser is good to go. Thanks for all the info guys.

Seems like everyone has their favorite coolant and opinions are much different from one to another. I have used Trim E206 for years. I had never use any other type of coolant and read about blaser BC20SW. I made the change and the only difference I see is I get less rust. E206 sure is cheapper but I don't want to deal with the rust even tough I check the level of concentration but seems blaser is more forgiving in that aspect. The smell is about the same since I use a skimmer quite frequently and manually clean the edges of my tank where the sludge builds up over time. My 2 cents.

Back