What's new
What's new

Haas vf2-ss on 60 amp breaker?

Sentry128

Plastic
Is anyone running a haas vf2 ss on a 60 amp breaker? The machine calls for 100amp but I know that's a overkill rating. I want to put one in my garage shop and run it off a phase perfect 355 with 100amp single phase input and run a 60amp 3-phase out to the machine. I believe the phase converter is rated for 64 amp output. Anyone running a similar setup? Or know if I can get away with this? I'm even up for limiting the rapids to 50% and spindle to 8k if it will make it work for a year or 2 till I can get a place with 3-phase.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Is anyone running a haas vf2 ss on a 60 amp breaker? The machine calls for 100amp but I know that's a overkill rating. I want to put one in my garage shop and run it off a phase perfect 355 with 100amp single phase input and run a 60amp 3-phase out to the machine. I believe the phase converter is rated for 64 amp output. Anyone running a similar setup? Or know if I can get away with this? I'm even up for limiting the rapids to 50% and spindle to 8k if it will make it work for a year or 2 till I can get a place with 3-phase.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't know about the SS ratings but just a normal vf-2 should be fine on 60 amps single phase. Just watch your load meter. Remember amps is related to torque so the larger the cutter and larger the load the more amps it will draw. Idle it might drive 5-10 amps and go up as you put a load on it.

By the way where are you located in tampa? I am in tampa also.

So when I develop my side business and move to a shop with full 3-phase power I will have a machine that is capable of running faster cycle times. No sense investing in something I will want to upgrade a year from now.

Remember that the amperage rating is all motors and such maxed out. I ran my VF-2 off of a 20 amp breaker once, as it was at a friend shop and that was all that was available. Ran it for 6 months like that until I moved into my shop.

Mike

Remember that the amperage rating is all motors and such maxed out. I ran my VF-2 off of a 20 amp breaker once, as it was at a friend shop and that was all that was available. Ran it for 6 months like that until I moved into my shop.

Mike

I agree, I wouldn't worry.

20hp PP with 100amp input will run it no problem. Gotta remember the PP are meant to start a 20hp motor, that's a lot more load/peak than a VF-2ss is gonna have.
50% vs 100% rapid, you'll be lucky to see 1-2 second cycle time different, I run at 50% on my little 2412 all the time, bangs less when peak drilling.

I'm running a VM-2 on a 60 amp breaker with no issues. The spindle drive is the main amperage draw on these machines. Slowing the rapids won't make much difference.

You won't have any problems. It will be surprising if you ever pull more than 25 amps in the real world. My VF3 runs on a 30 amp breaker with no issues at all. Been this way for years.

You won't have any problems. It will be surprising if you ever pull more than 25 amps in the real world. My VF3 runs on a 30 amp breaker with no issues at all. Been this way for years.

30 amp single phase?

30 amp single phase?

Three phase.

I feed the shop with at PP DPC20 distributed through a 3 phase panel. Each machine runs on it's own breaker.

The PP unit is fed with a 100 amp single phase breaker. It should be a 125 but we have never tripped it.

Likely the biggest amp draw in a small shop is the air compressor.

60amp vs. 100amp

I bought a ($1000) 100amp breaker when I bought the new Haas VF-2 SS for our school shop. I think we would have been fine with the original 60amp. Not sure if it is required to maintain the warranty, you may want to check if it is under warranty. Just be careful how much load you are drawing if you are on a bus bar with other machines. Good luck!

Three phase.

I feed the shop with at PP DPC20 distributed through a 3 phase panel. Each machine runs on it's own breaker.

The PP unit is fed with a 100 amp single phase breaker. It should be a 125 but we have never tripped it.

Likely the biggest amp draw in a small shop is the air compressor.

This is interesting - your PP unit doesn't have any issues with its output power being switched? My VFD manual forbids that, but I doubt it's as capable as your unit.

PhasePerfect units are perfectly happy with being switched, running multiple loads with wildly different characteristics, etc. In that regard, they are more like a rotary phase convertor and utterly unlike a VFD.

Like ARB, I run the output of my (smaller) PP unit into a three-phase breaker panel, and from there branch circuits out to various machines and outlets.

Does running the VF2 on single-phase power have an effect on a non SS units? I am looking at a 10k VF2 but need to run it off a 100 amp load, struggling to find a phase converter that outputs the 50 Amp needed for the CNC and 6.4 Amp for a future vibratory bowl. I just assumed that the VF2 needed to be run off a phase converter, did not know that running it on single phase was even an option :/

Are you running this on single-phase 60amp? What is the downside to doing this? Just curious because I always assumed that you needed a phase converter. I am looking to run a VF2 on a 100amp box and am looking at phase converters right now for it. Cheers!

Back