What's new
What's new

Hs1

ChuckThomas

Plastic
If there are any other older HS1 owners out there I have a question about a problem and how you might have overcame it.
No big shock but our machine has issues interpolating holes. They are more like footballs instead of circles. I avoid the process as much as possible, or else I balloon the geometry as much as possible to compensate. We've contemplated changing the ball screw for the Z-axis thinking perhaps age and use have simply worn it down. But I wonder if that would really solve the issue. So far as I recall this machine has always done this and is nothing new. Any thoughts?

If there are any other older HS1 owners out there I have a question about a problem and how you might have overcame it.
No big shock but our machine has issues interpolating holes. They are more like footballs instead of circles. I avoid the process as much as possible, or else I balloon the geometry as much as possible to compensate. We've contemplated changing the ball screw for the Z-axis thinking perhaps age and use have simply worn it down. But I wonder if that would really solve the issue. So far as I recall this machine has always done this and is nothing new. Any thoughts?

I don't have much to offer, but you might consider having the machine ballbared and/or laser calibrated to have the comp tables and parameters tuned.

If this is something you decide to do, hire a dedicated machine tool calibrator and not the HFO. Unless the HFO offers laser calibration services, the pro will provide much greater results.

Good luck.

You will need to do a simple backlash check on your z axis. put your indicator on the z axis and move it in the .001 one at a time. Go forward .005 and back .005 do this in both dirctions that will tell you your backlash. How is your level. I would also check that

Bryan33 has the right idea, do that test to see exactly what your backlash is.

But why are you thinking Z axis? Pardon my ignorance but is the spindle not the Z axis on a horizontal, X and Y would be the issue no?

I'm betting the thrust bearings on the X and or Y axis are shot or at least loose. Too often the blame is placed on the ball screw as it seems to be so complex but ball screws are very robust and are constantly lubed. Weak link is the lowly thrust bearing, it takes ALL of the thrust, is only grease packed and IMO it is undersized for the task.

Your biggest expense is labor to R&R the parts, money well spent worth compared to bad parts and/or your time spent compensating.

Thanks for the reply's. And yes you are correct about it not being the Z axis. My head was stuck in the Vertical world when I wrote this. I'm suspecting the Y axis is messed up. When interpolating holes the dimensions in X when be right on, but in Y they are large between .005 and .010. I will look into the thrust bearing and see what I can find.
I also have done the test with an indicator but didn't notice any change. The quirk of the system is that the dimensions become closer to true when I don't feed as fast. That tells me there's either slop somewhere, or something in the electronics can't compensate quick enough at higher speeds.

Back