What's new
What's new

TL-2 Lathe application question

helocat

Aluminum
Starting to lay plans for adding our first CNC lathe to the shop. This is for in proto typing/house products production. No CNC lathe experience here at all. This will be all new. I have a small 12x36 manual lathe, and use it very little. (never really learned to turn handles)

We build high performance off road parts and would like to make inner axles. 4340 is the industry standard or 300M in some applications. Production would be very short runs, 20 axles at the most per time. With most being just 2 at a time. Why I think the TL-2 fits the bill. I am just wondering how the TL-2 will handle cutting 4340? 12hp seams like enough but I have seen comments on lack of low end. I am thinking low end is needed to take a proper cut on a 1.5" bar of 4340. Thoughts suggestions? :confused:

We don't have space for an older ST-20/30 so not really an option. A used ST10 would fit (and fit budget if low enough). Can one two op an inner axle? Will it repeat? Cut 14" of one end, flip it and cut the other 14"?

Will be cutting the splines on our TM-1 with a 160HRT. So already keep a rain suit by the mill. ;) Not afraid of the open lathe.

Mark

You could consider doing the whole part on the lathe. You can see in this video:

Haas ST-20Y: Turn and Mill Complex Parts - YouTube

Ken that would be a great machine for my application, if I had quite a bit of dedicated axles to cut. I do not. Need a lathe to cut the basic profile blanks, then I will use my TM-1 with a 160HRT to cut the splines. Shop floor space is also limited. Looking for users with experience with the TL2 if it can handle cutting 4340.

Mark

The answer is yes, the TL-2 has a decent amount of torque and can handle 4340 with mildly aggressive roughing speeds.

The answer is yes, the TL-2 has a decent amount of torque and can handle 4340 with mildly aggressive roughing speeds.

Thank you. I need to bump this up our list to get, just got a call from our axle vendor wanting to up the PO I just sent them by 21%. :angry: Think I will farm the round work for now and cut the splines in house and bring the cost down 63%.

Mark

Back