What's new
What's new

Haas floppy drive error

dwitty23

Plastic
Thanks, in advance.

So i have a older 97 model haas vf6 with a floppy drive. I can't get a program into it? Keep getting a 435 general error or a floppy not in drive error?

any thoughts on what to try??

Thanks, in advance.

So i have a older 97 model haas vf6 with a floppy drive. I can't get a program into it? Keep getting a 435 general error or a floppy not in drive error?

any thoughts on what to try??

99% of the time it means the drive cannot read the disk. Reformatting the disk will usually work for a time, but a new disk is better. Starts to happen more often on old drives. One reason I switched to RS-232.

Mike

Try a different disk, but make sure the floppy has the permanent hole similar and opposite of the slide lock opening. Floppy's without the second hole never seem to work.

Good luck!

I used to have issues with the floppy drive on our lathe,was like a floppy had a limited life span before I would need a new freshly reformatted one.Had to replace the drive a couple years ago due to issues of it not reading disk.The drive from HAAS was only $18,takes less than ten minutes to put a new one in,it is pretty much plug and play.

Last around with was not reading properly and when I would copy program to floppy then try to open it on the PC it would be corrupted.

Bought an RS232 USB adapter,null modem and serial cables for less than $40.Down loaded a 90 day trial of EasyDNC and it works GREAT.EasyDNC is about $200 and had a good editor function as well as ability to talk to machine,I'm sure there are probably cheaper or even free DNC programs out there.
My point is using RS232 works great assuming your PC is not a hell of a distance from CNC.I use a laptop myself that I carry to the machine.

Thanks, All.

Got it going now. It was a bad disk!!

AH Hum, like I said! Did we call in the factory on this one?? :)

Seriously though, if you intend to use floppy's with your machine, it's best to find a nice box of new disks before they are gone for good. For critical programs and parameters and such, down load then to the disks, but then store on the computers hard drive and or elsewhere. The disks tend to go bad quite readily, even just sitting in a drawer.

Cheers----Mike

Back