What's new
What's new

Ridgid tap not working on a mini mill

Hyrum

Plastic
Hey guys!

Ive been cnc machining injection molds for about two years now as a hobby/side business. I bought a mini mill about a year ago but have never got the ridgid taping feature to work. (I did pay for it) Each time I try I either break a tap, the part gets yankedout of the vice or the threads are striped in the workpiece. I've even tried the example from the book with no luck. I now need to make something with about 100 tapped holes and I don't want to do them all by hand. Can anyone give me some pointers ? Should I post a video?

I would post your program and tap details. Some sharp guys here who will pick an error out in a nanosecond.

Make sure the option was turned on. I had one machine that I had payed for the rigid tapping and it didn't work right, the hole wouldn't gage. Had the service guy check it and he saw someone had forgot to turn that option on.
Seem there was some confusion on the delivery. But before that it would make holes that were almost good. Also they check the cycle with an indicator and a large threaded rod thats how he figured it out.
ART

Thanks guys. I'm on a ski trip right now. When I get back to my shop a I'll post a video and code.

ya, post your code....also i think Haas ships the machines with the the tap out speed set to 4x. cant remember what setting it is, but id make sure its set to 1x as to eliminate that from the equation.

Make sure the option was turned on. I had one machine that I had payed for the rigid tapping and it didn't work right, the hole wouldn't gage. Had the service guy check it and he saw someone had forgot to turn that option on.
Seem there was some confusion on the delivery. But before that it would make holes that were almost good. Also they check the cycle with an indicator and a large threaded rod thats how he figured it out.
ART

I had the same problem. One call to HAAS with your machine serial number and you will be rigid tapping. Only cost me about 6 taps :(

I bought my Mini Mill without this option, really I do not need it, but for curiosity, paying to Haas for to have this option turned on is enough? or is needed something in the machine itself as some wiring and encoder.

I bought my Mini Mill without this option, really I do not need it, but for curiosity, paying to Haas for to have this option turned on is enough? or is needed something in the machine itself as some wiring and encoder.

As far as I know it is a turn on option. You pay for the code and then you can rigid tap.

I know the older machines also have an additional encoder on the spindle shaft. You may need that added also.

Mike

Last edited:
"..bought my Mini Mill without this option, really I do not need it."

After pulling my underwear out of my butt with my first 2000 rpm pass with a 1/4-20 tap; I cannot imagine working without it.

That was it, rigid tapping was never turned on. I finally got a chance to go to my shop today and checked the settings. I called the dealer that sold me the machine and he said I could activate the trial period until he got back to me with how to activate it permanently.

Back