What's new
What's new

Shipping a HAAS VF3

2 clicks low

Aluminum
I just purchased a Haas VF 3 1996 ,The rigger is going to pick up the machine this week . The factory shipping locks or fixtures are not available. How should I secure the X,Y,Z axis for shipping. Thanks

Last edited:
Basically a bracket that bolts to the table then to a threaded hole on the face of the z axis - not the spindle!

I just purchased a Haas VF 3 1996 ,The rigger is going to pick up the machine this week . The factory shipping locks or fixtures are not available. How sure I secure the X,Y,Z axis for shipping. Thanks

In general it depends on how far you are going and what type of vehicle. I have seen many and done it myself that were just jogged down to a 4 x 4 on the table. In fact I did that on my last one and was very sorry though. The truck suspension was so rough and the drive so fast and careless that it came in after on 40 miles with the table completely to the back and one side. Luckily, I had no damage, but I did purchase a regular Haas restraint after that for future use.

The Haas bracket is a pyramid shape with a bolt hooked to the spindle housing and several more on the table.

So, how far is it going and by what type of truck?

I'm used to live in Nebraska, near Omaha, where is your city? Are you getting the machine back, or selling it and the bracket will go with it?

Manage Attachments is not working, so click below:

Bracket | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Mike

You can make one like what machineit2 posted or you can have one overnighted from Haas to where the machine is at and installed.

Without this type of bracket the X, Y, and Z are free to, essentilly, float around which can potentially cause major damage to the machine if it move around enough. Lowering the head on a block of wood is without question not enough.

What shop in Omaha, I used to do work for most of them? PM me if you want. I used to do a ton of work for Speedway motors too! Good people.

If you don't want to buy one I could overnight mine to them and you can send it back when you are done. It is missing the third (center) t-slot nut, but will work just fine with two.

I-80 is a rough mother between them cities!

Mike

According to web site, 2 & 6 are 4.92" and 3 is 3.15 inch between slots. So mine would work just like the one for the 6, you would have to turn slightly and use just the two outside bolts on the table end.

Mike

Of course to make perfect for the VF-3, just one 3/8" clearance hole could be added to the bottom of the bracket. That would not hurt the bracket a bit either.

Mike

I just purchased a Haas VF 3 1996 ,The rigger is going to pick up the machine this week . The factory shipping locks or fixtures are not available. How should I secure the X,Y,Z axis for shipping. Thanks

Hi, I just bought a vf3 also (1995), riggers are picking it up next week. It also says in the manual that the counterweight should be blocked up at the bottom of the column through square holes in the casting. They also suggest blocking the counterweight on top to keep it from flopping back and forth.

Another good idea in the manual is to fasten 4 metal tabs about 3in long with a hole on each end onto the top of the leveling feet with nuts as a place for the riggers to hook chains on, instead of strapping over the machine or something causing damage.

Dustin

My old 1991 VF-1 had a counter-balance weight, but my 96 VF-2 has the nitrogen counter-balance instead. His VF-3 probably does too. What year did that change over?

Mike

Last edited:
My old VF-1 had a counter-balance weight, but my 96 VF-2 has the nitrogen counter-balance instead. His VF-3 probably does too. What year did that change over?

Mike

Hi, I made a mistake and said 95', mine is 94' and does have the counterweights according to the manual, which has the serial number on it so I am assuming it is the correct one.

The weights were something. I remember running very short programs on my 91 and the weight starting to swing and knock about in the housing. I would have to go stop it from swinging! :)

Mike

I stop on Tuesday to look at what I had purchased/won the Haas VF 3 look like it will work . Went back Thursday to prep it for shipping the owner had set the spindle down on top of block of wood on the vise. The counter weights had a piece of oak stuck in the opening in the back and power was disconnected . When I spoke with Haas in Omaha he told me with no power you can just block the table with wood , so I cut some 2x4's and placed them between the table and inclosure. I am glad I did the rigger came and remove my machine from the factory and then set it on his trailer. I did not realize it was a tilt trailer! When he loaded his folk lift back on the trailer he tilted it and one side of the vf3 was five feet higher then the other?

Back