What's new
What's new

'91 VF-1 Lifetime Gearbox Oil???

moparmuscl

Aluminum
I spoke with Haas yesterday regarding the gear oil in the gearbox of my '91 Haas VF-1. I was told that the machines pre-'92 do not have a drain plug. They are filled with fluid from the factory and not meant to be changed. It's been 21 years now and I'd like to change the fluid. Has anyone changed this oil? Am I worrying about this for not reason?

This sounds a little odd to me. Look behind the spindle nose and see if there is an access cover, maybe 4"x6". If so, remove and see if there is a drain plug as that is where it would be along with an overflow tube.

My memory is a little fuzzy on that vintage. Is there a fill port somewhere at the top of the head? Is there a oil pump used for circulation?

It has been awhile since I had the cover off....and I prefer to keep it that way.

No fill at top of head like the others. Pull the cover off the bottom and nothing.

I had Haas come in a couple years ago for a repair and as I was overdue on changing the oil on all my machines I had them do it. The service tech searched for awhile then told me nope factory filled and we left it at that...

If I recall no pump either...

It all seemed great and good till the gearbox went...and the I had to change the Spindle Motor and Spindle Drive and add a Regeneration unit to get back up and running.

It was a very Long Expensive 2 Weeks...but I was back up and running

Removing was a snap...removed a couple bolts, Air Lines, Proximity switches, disconnected wires to motor. I then clamped a couple bars to Gearbox and brought forks underneath the bars, then gave a little lift so I could pull off Spindle belt, then it was up and out.

As I was getting the Spindle Motor and Gearbox together, as a set, whether I wanted it that way or not....I really didn't look to see how the Spindle could be removed or whether I could find a plug to change fluid. If I knew the inside layout, I'd say it would be easier to just drill and tap a drain and fill plug....but I can guarantee I'd drill right into something important.

I think my plan is to remove the motor, and see if I can pop the top off the gearbox. That will allow me to see the fluid level, suck it out, drill and tap and fill and drain, clean it out, and refill it. I have it shoe-horned in my garage, so I don't have the luxury of any kind of lifting device. Hmmmmm....spindle drive belt. Maybe I should try and replace that as well....crap!

Lifetime oil butt...the transmission is dry! I'll continue this in my main thread.

DSCN4530.jpg

DSCN4529.jpg

Back