What's new
What's new

Renishaw Tool Setter/Location?

dylskee

Cast Iron
I've got a Haas SMM with the Renishaw Tool Setter (TS27R) and Touch Probe, how do I tram the tool setter (where is the value stored?) if the setter was moved? I can't find any info on this at all, I will call Haas or Renishaw Monday but I figured it's got to be something simple. I've been getting some alarms lately (X axis margin too small) so I fixed that problem but it created a new machine zero point on the X so now the tool setter is off by about .375 or so. Can someone give me some insight on this?

I'm pretty sure running a calibration cycle with gauge pin or dowel pin will also update the stylus location (jog to approx center and run cycle), but:
#584 is stylus dia
#585 is X location
#586 is Y location

99.9% sure you need to re-run the calbration cycle. If your toolsetter location is not on 100% then your tools will not measure correctly.

Tim

Thanks for the replies guys but that's my question, how do I recalibrate the location of the tool setter? I only see three calibration cycles, probe dia, probe length and tool length. How do I calibrate the actual location of the tool setter?

You need to have a gauge pin of known diameter held in a tool holder with as close to zero runout as possible. You also need to know the gauge length of that pin, but that dimension isn't all that important. Measuring it with a tape measure is all you need. Before calibrating, you need to sweep the top of the stylus to make sure it's as flat as you can possibly get it in X and Y. I shoot for .0002" or less.

Now, jog the gauge pin over the tool setter, and about 1/4" above it. Now run this:

G103 P1
G80 G90 G0
M52
G65 P9851 K4.125
#592=1.
G65 P9852 S.1875 K.5
#592=-2.
G65 P9852 S.1875 K.5
G103
M30

<tbody>
</tbody>

Replace the K4.125 with your gauge length, and replace both S.1875 with the diameter of your gauge pin. The tool setter is now calibrated for height and XY position. Now, calibrate your spindle probe to the tool setter to make sure your H numbers will come out right and you're done.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you the manual for both probe and tool setter if you'd like.

You need to have a gauge pin of known diameter held in a tool holder with as close to zero runout as possible. You also need to know the gauge length of that pin, but that dimension isn't all that important. Measuring it with a tape measure is all you need. Before calibrating, you need to sweep the top of the stylus to make sure it's as flat as you can possibly get it in X and Y. I shoot for .0002" or less.

Now, jog the gauge pin over the tool setter, and about 1/4" above it. Now run this:

G103 P1
G80 G90 G0
M52
G65 P9851 K4.125
#592=1.
G65 P9852 S.1875 K.5
#592=-2.
G65 P9852 S.1875 K.5
G103
M30

<tbody>
</tbody>

Replace the K4.125 with your gauge length, and replace both S.1875 with the diameter of your gauge pin. The tool setter is now calibrated for height and XY position. Now, calibrate your spindle probe to the tool setter to make sure your H numbers will come out right and you're done.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you the manual for both probe and tool setter if you'd like.

Thank you very much Matt, I appreciate that! PM coming your way.....

how the mill know where the tool setter is located

Hello everybody...

Does anyone can tell me where the machine store the value, where the toolsetter is located..? I run this program like Matt@RFR say

G103 P1
G80 G90G0
M52
G65 P9851 K122.2
#592=1.
G65 P9852 S12.7 K12.7
#592=-2.
G65 P9852 S12.7 K12.7
G103
M30

Replacing the values

Works fine... move the machine to home, then open VQC to run automatic lenght, the spindle move to the tool setter, and workerfect. Then try to do Automatic lenght and diameter, the spindle move to the tool setter but keep away. Look the picture,
I did something wrong..?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Felipe

Attachments

• renishaw ts27r.jpg
    renishaw ts27r.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 7,342
When you open VQC for Renishaw, you should have 2 options for spindle probe routines, one option for tool setting, one option for probe calibration, and 1 option for help or about (can't remember at the moment).

Open the probe calibration option and it will give you calibration routines for the tool setter, spindle probe lenght calibration, and spindle probe XY calibration.

Run the calibration cycles following the on screen prompts and things should work fine.

If that does not fix your problem then you will need to post the code you are running for your length and diameter tool setting example.

Good luck!

Hello everybody...

Does anyone can tell me where the machine store the value, where the toolsetter is located..? I run this program like Matt@RFR say

G103 P1
G80 G90G0
M52
G65 P9851 K122.2
#592=1.
G65 P9852 S12.7 K12.7
#592=-2.
G65 P9852 S12.7 K12.7
G103
M30

Replacing the values

Works fine... move the machine to home, then open VQC to run automatic lenght, the spindle move to the tool setter, and workerfect. Then try to do Automatic lenght and diameter, the spindle move to the tool setter but keep away. Look the picture,
I did something wrong..?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Felipe

Holy crap, the giant yellow hand is one of the funniest things I've seen all week.

What, you could not find a giant safety orange one?

Awesome.

where the toolsetter is located..?
Stylus diameter: #584. Stylus X axis centerline: #585. Y centerline: #586.

I did something wrong..?
As far as I can tell, if it works one way, it should work with all cycles. When doing auto diameter, if your tool diameter is larger than a certain size (#589), it will offset the tool so the diameter is on the centerline of the stylus, and will rotate the tool while checking for length. Is this what happens when you let the cycle run through?

Thanks for your answers...

Matt, i run the program like you said, the pin in the spindle touch first on the top of the stylus, then, right, then left, then front, then back and finish with the pin on the top of the stylus 10 mm up and centered. work fine.

now move the machine to home position, and run VQC to see if the Automatic lenght work. run the program and the spindle move to the top and center of the stylus, touch the top of the stylus and add the value to the tool offset, work fine, do the same with tool 4 work fine, do the same with tool 5 work fine, all the tools move from the home.

then try to do automatic lenght and diameter, start with tool 1, from the home posiotion run VQC select Automatic Lenght and Diameter, the machine move but the spindle stop 10mm up the top os the stylus (ok) but is out of the center... why..? i dont know, im agree with you about, should work with all cycle.

Felipe.

i will run this

G103 P1
G80 G90G0
M52
G65 P9851 K122.2
#592=1.
G65 P9852 S12.7 K12.7
#592=-2.
G65 P9852 S12.7 K12.7
G103
M30

then start again..?? is any way to see where are the values saved in the mill.?? if i turn of the mill, the next time is necesary run the program above, before to run auto tool lenght..?? o that info is stored in the mill..

Felipe

then try to do automatic lenght and diameter, start with tool 1, from the home posiotion run VQC select Automatic Lenght and Diameter, the machine move but the spindle stop 10mm up the top os the stylus (ok) but is out of the center.
What does it do if you allow the program to run?

is any way to see where are the values saved in the mill.?? if i turn of the mill, the next time is necesary run the program above, before to run auto tool lenght..?? o that info is stored in the mill..
I showed you where to look, but I'm gathering you don't know what these numbers mean. Go to current commands, then page down 3 times. This is where all your macro variables are. Now type 584 and press the down button. What is the number stored there? It should match your tool setter stylus diameter.

Now look at variables 585 and 586. Those are the X and Y locations of the tool setter. To prove that they are correct, do this in MDI with rapids at 5%:

G0 G80 G90
G53 X#585
G53 Y#586

Jog down to just above the tool setter, and the spindle should be centered on it. If it is, then your setter locations are correct. If not, something else is wrong.

While you're looking at variables, what number is stored in #589?

To be clear, Matt has good info and I am only approachine from a different perspective.

Tolesh, have you run any of the included calibration cycles for the renishaw systems? They walk you through exactly what to input. Also, post what code you are running to set length and diameter.

Matt.. once again thanks, haastec thanks...

im recalibrating the tool setter,

Macro value stored.
582 -234.199997
583 -234.197998
584 12.713
585 -388.240997
586 -45.374004
587 75.000000
588 10.000000
589 10.000000
590 150.000000
591 13.000000
592 -2.000000
593 0.000000
594 0.300000

the other values are 0

Felipe

i did this

To prove that they are correct, do this in MDI with rapids at 5%:

G0 G80 G90
G53 X#585
G53 Y#586

Jog down to just above the tool setter, and the spindle should be centered on it. If it is, then your setter locations are correct

and work perfect...

now, im going to test the Automatic Lenght and diameter.

Trying with the Automatic length and diameter, received an error 1093 Probe Fail. (This alarm occurs if the probe did not trigger during the move). the table move to the back of the spindle then, start moving to the front to touch the tool when almost touch the tool the table move back, the tool setter never touch the tool, then alarm.

felipe

Are you entering the same size in VQC as the tool? In other words, if your tool is 12.7mm, then you should be entering a value of 12.7 in VQC.

yes... same size as the tool. VQC ask for 3 things,
Tool Number = 5, Tool length = 122.2 Tool diam = 12.7
Tool Number = 6, Tool length = 103.2 Tool diam = 9.525

in both cases, same error... 1093

The error is when try to touch the tool setter on the side of the tool..

after the error, the table move down the spindle centering the tool..

Back