What's new
What's new

Time for an update on those ST-10 lathes

SIM

Titanium
This was asked some time ago...but nobody had one long enough to know if these machines were up to the challenge.

It has been some time...so how are these machines behaving? As good as the early SL-10 line? Better, worse?

Any high or low points you can mention

This was asked some time ago...but nobody had one long enough to know if these machines were up to the challenge.

It has been some time...so how are these machines behaving? As good as the early SL-10 line? Better, worse?

Any high or low points you can mention

Now I'm a hobby guy so take my stupid opinion for what it is worth

I've had my ST 10 since Jan ish and the only complaint I have is that it's a little tight in there, changing tools and what not.

I just made some parts out of 1.5"dia titanium, drilled 2"deep with a .875 mits insert drill it ran about 35%load.

Never had any power issues. It just motored right through.

I never ran an SL so can't compare.

The tool setter / probe is just slick, and super simple to use

Chip conveyor works better than the auger on my mill no doubt

Parts catcher has not dropped one yet...can't think of anything else.

I do not do tight tolerance work, can't comment on accuracy.

D.Rey
Thanks for the response.
About how many hours have you put on machine...cut time, that is.
If you think the ST is tight you should look at an SL with Tailstock, Part Catcher and Probe...

IF you cannot think of anything else...then I think that is the answer I'm looking for.

My 1st SL ran for years with basic wear and tear issues.

My last SL-10 had issues from the time it came in. Nothing earth shattering, but things that should not go wrong. Just about everything was an assembly issue...Coolant leaks, Augur motor loose and leaking, Parts Catcher loose, Air Supply hose loose, Bad Hydraulic Regulator, Hydraulic Union was not indicated correctly or just a bad union, Program Bugs, I've had at three software updates and this has all been in a year and a half... I have been hoping it was just this one machine and not a trend moving forward...maybe the line just wanted to bang the last few SL's out the door and get started on the ST's.

So it seems that the news is good...

D.Rey
Thanks for the response.
If you think the ST is tight you should look at an SL with Tailstock, Part Catcher and Probe...

IF you cannot think of anything else...then I think that is the answer I'm looking for.

My last SL-10 had issues from the time it came in. Nothing earth shattering, but things that should not go wrong. Just about everything was an assembly issue...Coolant leaks, Augur motor loose and leaking, Parts Catcher loose, Air Supply hose loose, Bad Hydraulic Regulator, Hydraulic Union was not indicated correctly or just a bad union, Program Bugs, I've had at three software updates and this has all been in a year and a half... I have been hoping it was just this one machine and not a trend moving forward...maybe the line just wanted to bang the last few SL's out the door and get started on the ST's.

That worries the hell out of me!

I priced out some Haas lathes over the weekend. I have an old Okuma now that holds amazing tolerances and has not had much go wrong in the years I've had it. Looking at something like an ST-20SS. But how the hell are machines leaving the factory with all the issues yours has?

Did they at least extend your warranty after you had all that stuff go wrong in the first year? Did you end up footing the bill to fix the stuff that happened >1 year???

D.Rey
Thanks for the response.

Yea not had any issues with leaks, things breaking etc.

They have re wired and plumbed everything now there is this hatch in the back where pretty much all of the machine connections live it's all pretty tidy back there.

As far as hours I have not looked at the meter yet, I'd guess twelve weekends of running.

I only run it Fri Sat and sometimes Sun. Almost everything I do is titanium. Tightest tolerance I've run is just threads and it seems to do just fine, I bump it a thou or two and it moves predictably.

Like I wrote above I'm not a production shop so I'm not torture testing it.

Well, I have been pushing a lot of work through my ST-10 in the last 2 months a bunch of different materials ( 4140 ht, 1144, 1215, 1018, 17-4 h900, 6061, 7075, 660 bronze, 360 brass, steel castings, 4340, 4142, D2........ect ). I have absolutly no complaints about this lathe, It holds tolerance very well the tightest job I have thrown at it was + or - .0002 and it heald it through 200 parts pretty well ( 1144 ). I have had no real finish or rigidity issues to speak of. The fit and finish is very good on the machine I am happy with it. I will be looking at replacing one or both of my mills with a Haas soon because this lathe has made me reconsider Haas in my machine choice list.

There is one thing that piss's me off a little, someone at the factory stood on the top of my turret when the paint was still tacky and there is a faint boot print on the top of the turret. Not major but just something that eats at me when I see it every morning.

Jason,

There is one thing that piss's me off a little, someone at the factory stood on the top of my turret when the paint was still tacky and there is a faint boot print on the top of the turret. Not major but just something that eats at me when I see it every morning.

Jason,

Hey it's nothing a strong arm and an angle grinder with a stiff wire wheel won't take care of. :D

Back