What's new
What's new

vf-6 problems loading programs from floppy disk

dan whitley

Plastic
we are having problems loading programs from the floppy disk to the machine. as far as we are aware the file is correct. the program starts and ends with a % and the 2nd line is the program number, eg. O1005
the machine can read the disk and show me the files in 'dir list' but when we try to get the file to load ie. type the number in and hit 'F3' it just comes up with 'file not found'

any ideas folks???

If I recall, to load from floppy...bring up disk directory, cursor to the pgm you want and enter. I dont ever remember hitting F3 to load a pgm.

Dan has it right - type the letter "o" and then the program number and then hit F3. It then reads in.
At least that is what I do on my 1997 Haas VF-3.

Dan didn't mention the letter "o" and so that might be his problem, but I think that was just an oversight.

Try another disk and another disk drive for the file download. Older floppy drives have a problem with drive alignment sometimes.

If I recall, to load from floppy...bring up disk directory, cursor to the pgm you want and enter. I dont ever remember hitting F3 to load a pgm.

Dan has it right - type the letter "o" and then the program number and then hit F3. It then reads in.
At least that is what I do on my 1997 Haas VF-3.

Dan didn't mention the letter "o" and so that might be his problem, but I think that was just an oversight.

Try another disk and another disk drive for the file download. Older floppy drives have a problem with drive alignment sometimes.

Both methods can be used to load programs.

I prefer to use the directory method, that way it eliminates any typos or wrong file extensions.

+1 on trying a different floppy.

Good luck!

hey guys, thanks for the replies.
have been working on it today and so far no results yet. the disk is fine as is the drive. we have uploaded a file from the vf-6 to the disk, deleted the original file on the machine and then were able to reload the program back from the disk onto the machine.
however if i take the program from the disk that was created on the vf-6 and copy it on my pc and then save it as the next program number it wont load back onto the vf-6.
i am right in thinking that it is a .txt file that the programs should be yes?

I am afraid to sound stupid since its been 5 years i worked with floppy..
But sometimes you have to format floppy on the machine. Otherwise it just will not read.
Something about wrong cluster size or whatnot when floppy is formatted on PC.

hey guys your not gonna belive what the problem was....
you have to add the file extension to the end of the program name which i just found out by accident. im now able to load .txt and .nc files no hastle at all

saving to a floppy Haas

hey guys your not gonna belive what the problem was....
you have to add the file extension to the end of the program name which i just found out by accident. im now able to load .txt and .nc files no hastle at all

I have just started using GibbsCam 2014 and was struggling to get my HAAS VF4 (1999) and VF1 (1996) to find the file from the floppy. I had to put "quotes" around the number that I wanted to use as the program number when I saved it to the disk. So, if I wanted to use the program o0004 on my machine I had to save the file as "4" then I could insert the disk, list programs, type the number 4 on the control and press the F3 button. Voila. It's finally working for me! Something so simple yet so very frustrating to fiugre out the first time. Anyway, I know this is an older thread but I found it useful and it got me on the right track. First time posting on this, or any forum. I figured I've found so many useful bits of info over the years, I ought to start contributing what I can. Hope this helps someone.

there is a simpler way. insert the disk, press "list programs" and then press F4. once its done reading the disk, press EDIT to see whats on the disk. it will show you the file names exactly as you will need to type them to load them. for example, if you see a program called "1.NC", you will have to go back to the "list programs" screen and type "1.NC" then F3 to copy it to the memory. if it shows up as just "1" or "1001" you just type that and then press F3.

Back