What's new
What's new

Haas TL-1 Spindle Orientation

Ray.Lawler

Plastic
I would like to use the spindle orientation, M19, to index the spindle. I will need the spindle to be locked or held in place while I do some mill work with a milling attachment. Is there a way to lock or hold the spindle in place while doing the mill work? If the lathe will not do this, has anyone made a lock or brake? Also, I would like to hear what people have done with the spindle orietation option. Thanks.

If the lathe will not do this, has anyone made a lock or brake? Also, I would like to hear what people have done with the spindle orietation option. Thanks.

I have a TL1 with the spindle orientation. It is not "locked" -- the chuck can be turned slightly, and then the machine will bring it back.

I use a Royal bar puller for "semi-production" work. The spindle orientation feature orients the chuck so that I can easily put the chuck key in without rotating the bar stock in the bar puller.

I'm happy I have the spindle orientation option.

What I am thinking about trying is fluting rifle barrels. The cutter would be .187 wide x 3.0" diameter with a full radius. I would have to make a milling attachment that would hang on the tool post and be powered with a gear motor. What I am not sure about is, will the chuck stay in position while the cut is made. If this would work, all six flutes could be made under CNC control.

Ray

The lathe will not hold it totally rigid if that is what you are asking.

M19 orientation is achieved by the motor holding position through the belts.

Back