What's new
What's new

1991 Haas Servo Motor Issues Help Please

johne1952

Plastic
Hello All,
I have a 1991 Haas VF-1 that i purchased 5years ago, I am not a Machinest, and do not know how to operate this machine I purchased it to teach myself and to also learn from others and night school how to use this pice of equpitment I do have basic machining ablity,
The problem during the Hurricane in September my shop was under 6" of water bascily everyhting was damaged, I was able to rebuild the lath, bandsaw motorss with great success, I started taking the Haas apart when I was reading the links with the other 2 members taking theirs aparts and reading about thier problems and issues, This has helped me greatly!
While cleaning I have removed grease, chips, mud etc, I called my local Haas warehouse Allendale Equpitment in Allendale, NJ Tony has been of great assisatance with getting the small parts way wipers , plastic tubing, the tool changer springs and covers,
last weekend I removed the "Y" axis servo took the rear plastic cover off found that water got into the Encoder, I called Haas and I was able to purchase 2 encoders that replace and I beleive they are upgrades to the Renco units, I decided to go further and take the ends caps off the servo's to find the water got inside, the armature was turning freely before the units were taken apart, I thought I would clean the units out and put new "rubber O"rings new seals and bearings , I was going to put the armature in my ultra soinc cleaner and also do the same to the out cases with out disturbing the magnets and then take the parts home put in the oven and dry them out , and put the servo back together,
I have gotten all the new bearings seals and "o"rings from my bearing warehouse as Haas does not service these parts any longer,
I read that if you dissasemeble the servo the servo will not work correctly because of the magnets will loose the magnatism? I am concerned and now will have a pyle of junk.Has any one successfully rebulit their servo, I have taken mine apart very carefully, Please advise anyone, I know I am a do it yourselfer, I really do not have the funds to be sending this servo and the "X" axis out for rebuilds for fear of being ripped off,
and lastly the ending question is I know the servos on my machine are DC Brush type I wanted to know if I have to replace the servos' can I upgrade to a Brushless servo that was replaced in the newer models and what would be involved? such as the servos, change of pc cards etc? I want to thank any one for thier time in answering and giving advise to my delemia.
also thanks to moparmusl, and STJ7780, because with out thier threads I would have not been able to get the guts to take mine apart
Johne1952

I have been told to always store permnant magnets with some sore of bridge across the gap or they will loose the magnatism; I call - bovine fecal matter!

Permanant magnets are just that - permanant. A manufacture I met once told me the only reason they put bars across the gap is for storage, shorts the gap so it does not collect fines and grab any magnitic material that gets near it. Put it togther carefully and you'll be fine. We routinely wash eletronic boards with a mild soap solution in distilled water, distilled water and isopropanal rinse - pratice ESD [electrostatic discharge] safety! I would not bother with brushless conversion as most all the eletronics will need replacement, very expensive!

Good luck!

Back